Dakota Durango Forum banner

removing the clutch fan

13K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  mopar_man2013 
#1 ·
can anyone lead me in how to do it? thanks in advance.

#11 ·
Take a wrench that fits the hex nut, slip it on there and hit it with a rubber hammer counter clockwise. It will break the nut loose, so you can continue to spin it loose from the water pump. Just be ready to catch it when it finally reaches the last thread, otherwise it'll fall into your radiator and potentially cause a leak.
Edit: the clutch is attached to the fan with 4 bolts, but you have to remove the whole thing before you can get to the clutch part.

Now, go Git R Done!!

#14 ·
Ok sorry to bring up an old post, but i attempted taking the clutch fan off yesterday and failed. i had a big ass wrench and even the tool from the auto store that holds the pulley in place.

could not even make it budge. need some help.

#17 ·
I put two bolts in the pulley and a bar in between them, came off super easy. If it doesn't come off using just man power hit it a few times and try again, should help knock it loose.

#19 ·
Possibly a dumb question.do you remove just the clutch part or the whole part? And then you need an electric fan? And buy doing allthis you free up some space between thread and the engine? What other gains or reasoning behind this?

#20 ·
What do you mean by the whole part? It's one piece, people do it to free up horsepower. Yes an electric fan is needed before 2000, after 2000 I would suggest it but mine has been doing fine without one. I keep good track of it to make sure it doesn't over heat though, and probably going to order one up for next summer. I just did it today on my parents Durango (they put an after market clutch fan on a long time ago that was always on, put my old one on theirs), came off just as easy as my truck did.

#23 ·
I use a jeep grand cherokee e-fan. I had my SCT tuned to turn it on at 185 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.