Dakota Durango Forum banner

Replacing Front Shocks

38K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Sparky 
#1 ·
Well, I have noticed some fluid leaking out of my drivers side front shock. I would like to replace the 2 front ones and leave the back ones for a bit later, they seem to be working fine.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any tips for me as far as installation goes, and brands that you use.

Also, I had a front end alignment done about 3 months ago, would I need another one if I replaced the 2 front shocks? It's is just a shock and spring suspension in the front, no struts or anything.

Thanks guys! :banana2:

#3 ·
i just changed mine last weekend end with monroe reflex, i like them so far i was told they would be stiff but i dnt know what my r/t rides like with stock shocks considerin that one of the factory one i took off wouldnt even expand back out, so yeah caulk is right you shouldnt need a alignment, i personally didnt have any trouble takin the bolts out, but like he said they have been known to break,

#5 ·
Thanks for your help guys! I was all ready to replace the shocks on the weekend, but I noticed that my front drivers side bump stop was missing...(which is why that shock is leaking... I'm assuming from bottoming out a few too many times)..so I went to a stealership today and ordered one in. Need to wait about 3-5 days for it..then I can begin!:banana2: Looking forward to fixing this thing.

#6 ·
u went to a dealership to buy shocks??? man i would have went to the parts store instead and gotten 2 new fronts instead of one. Might as well do both fronts while your down there and getting dirty so uk they both r good

#9 ·
I went with Rancho shocks because a found a killer deal on them online (they where the cheapest at the time). I have a 4x4, and the fronts where a bit of a B*tch for me, even with it jacked. Had to compress the strut to get it into place because it has 1 vertical bolt and 1 horizontal bolt.

#10 ·
hmmmm..a little confusion here...

Bump stops were from the dealership

Shocks were from a part store (Buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off)

Thanks for all the help and tips guys! It looks like the shocks on my truck (2wd.) are pretty straight forward to replace. 1 upper nut and 2 lower bolts to remove.

#12 ·
here's a tip. take the nut off the top of the shock BEFORE jacking up the truck. supposedly, the weight of the vehicle on the shock helps to keep the rod from spinning with the nut.

I had mine sky high in the air when I did it, and I had to vise grip the rod while wrenching the nut off.

#13 ·
good call! ^^^ my bilsteins that i got with my hotchkis kit(discontinued good bilsteins) shit the bed i threw some normal bilsteins in. so i get the truck up and everything off, rod spinning..... allen key at the top of the rod rounded out, and vise grips wouldnt hold it. had to tear apart the front end on both sides, pry the upper arm up with a crow bar while my friend was taking a grinder to the shafts. royal PITA

G
#14 ·
I have a special 3/8" drive socket that fits the top of the shock that I've probably had for 30 years or more. You hold the top nut with a 9/16" wrench and turn the shock shaft down thru the nut. I very seldom use it but it makes replacing front shocks a breeze! :mullet:

#15 ·
First off, thank you to everyone for the help. Everything went well, didnt snap any bolts, but I had to replace a sway bar link that was rotting out. (well, just the bushings were) on the passenger side. I had a hard time getting the link out of the frame because of the tapered end on the link and the tapered hole in the frame..... seemed to stick in there pretty good! . One heck of a job, but it was fun and I enjoyed it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.