Dakota Durango Forum banner

Paint Job Cost

29K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Rob454 
#1 ·
I will be looking to get my truck painted in the near future and just wondering how much yall all think it will cost around.

Im going back to the original black that was on it and i want to get the wheels painted to match.Also they might have to do a littlework on the hood becuz its goin to be the srt hood and fix around 2 dents

How much do yall think im looking at for a decent paint job.

Also does anyone around houston want to do it or know anyone that does a good job. If so let me know

#5 ·
I will share an experience I had, many years back I had a 70 GS Stage 1 Buick. No rust but needed a complete repaint. From my few years of working in a body shop, I prepped the car myself and took it to the local Maaco. I worked out a deal with them to mask and shoot the car, and I supplied the paint materials. The car was done last thing on a Friday and left in the booth over night, the results were great.
I didn't have a location to shoot it my self, and their painter was quite talented, if you paint 4 to 6 cars a day you develope some skill at it.
It worked out good for me. I know it is getting harder to find shops that will do complete repaints that don't charge thousands.
Something to consider.

#8 ·
thats a great idea i might look into that

#6 ·
you should have atleast 3k in it....more like 5k

#9 ·
depends how you wish to have it done. Are they pulling all the trim? doing the door jams? inside the doors? pulling off as the body panels to do? That's what I had done on several of my cars. Everytime roughly 10k per pop. I am so anal or I would not do it at all. If things bug me I either fix it or don't use or see it! I have issues

#13 ·
even if the painter/shop does the body work it dont get near 10 grand..& im only talking dents & shaving. i dont mean restoring a totaled car.

#14 ·
but materials including paint(basic colors),primer,sealer,hardner,reducer,mixing cups,tape,paper etc.will cost upwards of 1000-1200$ though

#15 ·
I was quoted 2500-3000 from the body shop that fixed my dak to paint my Ram. And that was a complete color change which included the door jambs, removing the bed and painting the sheet metal in the interior too.

#16 ·
Wow, I don't know where you all go, but in Indianapolis you can get your shit painted for WAY cheaper. My step-dad had his 87 chevy repainted for $400. It had 2 small runs, other than that it was flawless. Granted they didn't do the door jams, etc..It was the paint shop attached to the local pep-boys.

#18 ·
His paintjob was a few years ago, but surely the price couldn't have jumped THAT much.

#19 ·
Proper prep, materials...and attention to detail takes time and money. Typically, no to painters are alike in what they do and how they do it. I don't mind paying a litle more for a proper and through job. Finding the right person with honesty, integrity, and skill for the job is key.

#21 ·
oh yeah you can get crazy in paint cost with top of the line stuff,like house of kolors etc,ppg,dupont & high dollar clears but still when you do that it still dont cost any more then 5500-6000 to paint a car.

#22 · (Edited)
I have never seen a car personally painted for 3k to my liking. I like ever thing to be of the higher quality I guess. If it ain't perfect it goes back to the shop. I get the cars cleaned and detailed all the time. If they are dirty I hate to drive them. I just paid around 760.00 just to paint and install a Stillen front bumper. it slightly rubs the wheels in reverse when cranks all the way to the lock position. Bums me out and I either need new wheels or I have to remove the bumper entirely.

I had the emblems removed, hood emblem and antennae shaved. painted everything in the factory color. I should have made the top all black above the bodyline. I was quoted an additional 3k since I wanted to wrap the black inside all the five doors/pillars. I might still do it but I like my cars all one color

#25 ·
my quote ($3k) was given to me by the local custom rod shop which included all prep work and bed removal. since i was only gettin a quote i didnt look too far into th door jambs or trim removal, but still, u shouldnt expect to may more than that id assume. and these guys turn out show cars all th time so i kno their painting skills are top notch too

#26 ·
Guy here locally that mainly does hot rod restorations...his paints normally run 10k plus. But he spends countless hours making sure everything is flawless. Tears the whole vehicle down..glass out..everything.

Showed me a car he was working on. 69 Camaro, he wiped the dust off and it was like looking into a deep pool of water and reflective enough to shave in. Best paint I have ever seen.

#27 ·
Paint is almost never perfect the first time. I have had many paint jobs on numerous vehicles. One of my client's purchased Boyd vehicles all the time and he would redo them to his liking. Never was perfect, he had a professional body and paint man work on his vehicles full time (this guy had no shortage of money). He commented that these vehicles would have beyond 30-40k of paint and bodywork on them. It is all relative but I would have to say there really is no such thing as a perfect paint job as far as a consumer bodyshop goes, even professional as that matters. It boils down to just more than time and money for a bodyshop. It is really hard to make money and to make a job perfect. There is no real way to value your time and money. My business is the same way, when do you say perfect is good enough. I normally get all my personal vehicles debadged, everything shaved and all monocolored out. I like everything to look simple and not to stand out in the crowd. I do wish I could find a good bodyshop and wrencher in my area. For the most part I really never ask costs with my existing bodyshop guy. He knows from the start if I am not happy her will be fixing it on his dime. His last few bills were quiet startling but I was happy and he was paid in full.

#28 ·
Personally to me a car is a car. I drive them add things that I need ( usually mud tires a winch and a camper shell) and when im done with them I sell them. I may like one of my vehicles more than another but i dont believe in dumping money into something that does not go up in value or doesnt have a good ROI Sure there are people who love their vehicles dump tons of money into them etc. if thats what makes them happy thats cool.
if I were to get my vehicle painted it I woudl expect to pay about 12-1500$. anything more than that its not worth it to me.
Either way if you mke a vehicle too nice then some a-hole comes along and either mutilates it or tries to steal it. So i leave my vehicles as plain as I can
Let them steal the truck next to me that has the rims paintjob and stereo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.