Dakota Durango Forum banner

5 speed swap info needed

18K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  HunteX 
#1 ·
I am not having much luck with the search engine or there just arent many people on here doing swaps.

Are there any sources of information you can point me towards to do a auto to manual swap in my 02 Durango with 4.7?

Finding a donor Dakota for the pedals/brackets, slave, master (if they are different sizes) etc arent too much of an issue...

My questions are what transmission came in the Dakotas, were there more than one available, what do I need to do computer wise to make everything run correctly? Are the manuals the same length as the auto?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Your only manual trans options are the 5-speed NV3500 or the Getrag 6 speed available for Ram 4.7 and the 05+ Dakota 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8.
You will have to grab the PCM from the manual truck as the PCM also controls the transmission as well.
The transmission lengths are different and you will have to change out drive shafts anyway.

#8 ·
I just joined the forum and am interested in a manual tranny swap. Is this an option for a 99 Durango with 5.2 or 5.9L? Oh, and how do I tell which V8 I have? I haven't seen any markings that say what my displacement is (just bought this thing used, the owner didn't know either).

#9 ·
Welcome to the site! I hope all the information is helpful :p being a 99 only the two engines offered are the 5.9 and the 5.2. You can find the displacement by finding it on the belt the turns the auxillary systems. Yes it is possible, but some things may need to be fabricated to make it work.

#12 · (Edited)
Guys.... Keisler Automotive used to carry a 5 speed Dakota (primarily R/T) conversion kit (rear wheel drive only is why it wasn't available for the Durango's). They pulled it off their sales portfolio a few years ago but I'm sure if you contact them they might know the best route to take. Or, even better, they might help you out with the specs.

Purchasing an entire doner vehicle isn't the wisest choice unless you have the storage space and you may even get a few bucks off the parts you don't use.

http://www.keislerauto.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.