Dakota Durango Forum banner

clutch fan removal trouble

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Matts00SLT 
#1 ·
i cant get the damn bolt to break loose. what did you guys do to get it to break?? wd40 or anything like that?? it wont budge i pulled on it for 10 minutes.

#3 ·
by that you mean turn it to the right to bust it?? cause i didnt try that

#5 ·
ok i just read anthonys write up on his site and it says counter clock wise so it is a normal bolt. so let it sit in some wd40?

#7 ·
alright im gonna go try this again and see how that works.

#8 ·
Here is a good way to get an idea of which way to turn.

Have someone turn the key and pay attention to the direction the fan is moving... The belt will ALWAY tune the fan as if it where trying to tighten it.

I do believe you want to turn the LUG to the passengers side. As mentioned above.

I have always used a PIPE WRENCH and a heavy sludge hammer. Put the Pipe Wrench on and "SMACK" it to the passengers side wheel well... It will take 5 or 6 times... sometimes more... just keep whacking until it breaks lose... after that just spin it off my hand, it will break lose though.

If you could get somone to hold the pulley keeping it from turning from the bottom that would help... but he/she would have to be carefull the wrench does not fall and hit them on the head... its a possibility that could happen.

I hope this helps.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#9 ·
Or you could rent a clutch fan removal tool from advance auto!

#10 ·
well i decided not to do it as my truck has 118k miles and i dont need it to overheat.

#13 ·
ya i just used a longer cresent wrench with a hammer and a couple good wacks and it came right off. I pretty much had it off all summer and it got pretty hot. The only time i put it on was when i was hauling a big load of wood in my bed and pulling a trailer but other than that as long as the electric fan is working ull be fine plus ull gain a little more throttle response

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.