Dakota Durango Forum banner

reliability of the 3.7 v6

62K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  zclif2601 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2000 dakota with the 3.9 with 216,000 miles still runs awesome im looking at purchasing a 2004 dakota with the 3.7 V6 with 165,000 miles but i dont know much about the 3.7 v6 are they good motors they last a long time? of course tooken care of any one else have a high mileage one whats common problems with them that should be looked for before purchase?

#2 ·
It is a modular motor, meaning it shares a lot components with the 4.7L V8, so any problems with the 3.7 is the same on the 4.7, though that is only with abuse and mistreatment. These engines are stout and can take some abuse but too much and it becomes more expensive to fix.
I'd say go for it, more power over the old 3.9 and you also get the 5 speed automatic with the 3.7.:mullet:

#3 ·
the only problems with the 3.7 will come from having an automatic, I know that sounds messed up.

But 90% of the TSB's that I found for my 04 3.7 were all related to some type of programming fault that has to deal with it being in front of an auto.

But i have a standard and put that engine through some tough times, but kept up all the maintenance to the engine, and never had one lick of problems out of it. I can tell you that up to last week when it got totaled I had 106k miles and ran perfect

The only CEL I got was for a small evap leak, from the box under the drivers seat on the frame rail.

#5 ·
I get about 21+/- city if I drive gently(UP to 24 highway on long trips with nothing in the rear..). Depends if my hard cover is on or off, What gas I use (WAWA is the worst, with Sunoco being the best). I've taken my 3.7/2wd into some treacherous stuff and the only trouble I've had wasn't the motor, but some things on it. (Killed a coil, got water into the power steering fluid--maybe)...

Not sure it helps much.

#8 ·
Mine just went over 78k today.. I'm sure then can go a long way, with their Single Overhead Cam Design. The 3.7 is in Rams, Dakotas, Jeep Liberty's, The JK wranglers, and some others I'm forgetting. I'm sure its a formidable ally in any smaller vehicle.

#13 ·
ok guys i went and drove the truck today it has 168,371 to be exact it was fine at first but after 10 minutes of driving it the oil light came on and sounded like alot of tapping coming from top side of motor i belive like lifters? but after shutting the truck off for a minute or 2 started back up it was quiet and oil light was off?

#15 ·
I have a 2004 SXT. I get 21 highway, 19-20 average w/ 65k mi. on the clock. As far as the tapping you are hearing, it can't be the lifters b/c it is an overhead cam motor....no lifters. It is probably the valves themselves tapping. I had the same thing happen with a Mitsubishi that I owned. Could be attributed to carbon build up or the valve seals. Hard to say.

With the truck you're looking at, the oil light came on when the motor got hot b/c the oil viscosity breaks down a bit when it temperature rises. If there are old dried out seals (i.e. the valve seals), when the oil thins out, your pressure will drop. It may only be a matter of dropping one psi below acceptable, hence the light, and may not be a huge immediate problem, but I wouldn't put it aside. You should find out what kind of oil is being used on the motor. Synthetics hold their viscosity to higher temps. That can help cure oil light problems. If synthetic is in there right now, then there are definitely some issues.

A good way to identify where sounds are coming from is to use the yardstick method. Stay away from moving parts! You can place one end of the yardstick on say the valve cover, and place your ear on the flat side of the yardstick and you can hear much better what is happening inside.

hope this helps.
Good Luck.
:banana2:

#14 ·
I had an 03 4.7 4x4 5-speed and was getting 21-22 at 60-65 mph, but with my 02 4.7 4x4 auto I only get 18-19 at 60-65 mph. When I bought the 02 I almost bought a two wheel drive with the v-6 and auto. It really seems like the manual transmission do alot better when it comes to mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.