Dakota Durango Forum banner

Help with code P0551

20K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Earthgal 
#1 ·
Engine light came on this afternoon and I pulled code P0551 - "Power Steering Switch Failure Incorrect input state detected for the power steering switch circuit. PL: High pressure seen at high speed."

What's this code mean? I've recently posted a thread on a mysterious power steering leak I can't find, it's dripping from by the transmission, (and no, it's not tranny fluid, I've had to top up the power steering fluid)

Can anyone help with this code? There's no obvious driveability issues with the steering.

Thx!

#3 ·
The power steering switch is located on the steel line thats coming off the pump. It is located in the space between the battery and the engine. As far as seeing the leak down at the tranny, maybe its just running its way down to there. The only switch on that system should be the one at the pump.

#4 ·
Ok...so finally got around to checking into this and researching some other forums. Many have said that the sensor goes bad and somehow leaks through the sensor into the wiring harness. So I unpluged the wire from the sensor and there was some fluid in where the connection takes place, but I'm lost at how the fluid somehow makes its way into the wiring harnes and goes uphill magically, then drips down by my tranny and onto the garage floor. I don't see any signs of dripping at the connection so not sure how it migrates into the wiring harness. I only had to top up the power steering fluid once and it seems to be full still so not sure if it's still leaking, yet I still get the code.
Nonetheless, I will order a new sensor and change it out to see if this gets rid of the code that keeps popping up when I'm at highway speed.
Will keep ya's posted.

#6 ·
Ok so I put a new pressure sensor switch on and still gettting fluid through it. Is my system making too much pressure that a new one will still leak?

#8 · (Edited)
No I just have regular power steering fluid. Durango's didn't call for ATF+4 until late 2001 model year up until then the fluid from the dealer that the manual calls for is just called "power steering fluid". Not sure what's different from 2000 to 2002...pump and rack seem the same??

#10 ·
Got the same code today shortly after being on the interstate at 70 mph. Here we go with another trip to the dealership, right? :( I heard this switch is something they have to change or leads to other problems. Is that the case?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.