Dakota Durango Forum banner

Noise in front diff :( and more!

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  suprchgd99rango 
#1 ·
Hi there would like to start by taking you for the space!

So heres the situation,

I have a 2001 durango r/t with the 5.9 awd set up.

when I bought the truck a year ago I heard this noise when turning tight, it sounds like a cv click. So I replace both and replace both wheel bearings at the same time noise is still there and now it will actually stop the truck if im in reverse not pushing the fuel pedal. I need help I'm at my wits end:anyone: ! lol

some one said the the main pin might be be worn out or the side gears are moving in. ive herd soooo many possibilities, if the side gears are pushing in to the king gears and what not how do u adjust them out some?

Thank you guys in advance
Kevin Coleman:noob:

#2 ·
Well if possible I would go to a junkyard and get one out of an old truck and replace yours with it. The cost of replacing what your talking about probably will cost a lot of money and could possible be beyond your capabilities unless your a good mechanic.

#3 ·
I have some one that is going to do it for me but want to get everything together and right before i take it to him so that it cost me less to repair.

and the only other front diff that is available around here thay want 1500 for it:( i was thinking just take the front axles out but everyone keeps saying i cant cause it all wheel drive.

i would like to make it 2wd 4wd liek the datotas but hear that wouldnt work either :(

#4 ·
I( i was thinking just take the front axles out but everyone keeps saying i cant cause it all wheel drive.

i would like to make it 2wd 4wd liek the datotas but hear that wouldnt work either :(
You can do that BUT you have to put the t-case in 4wd and leave it there AND you have to install the outer axle stubs or the wheel bearings will separate.

Much better solution is to fix the problem properly. Might want to take it to a qualified drive line shop for a second opinion on what the problem is. If one of the Various, AB locations in your sig is Edmonton, AB go to Alberta Driveline on the Yellowhead and talk to them.

#5 ·
Put t-case in 4wd?? its an awd . How are yu going to do that ?? lol do yu mean 4-hi?? still just take it in to driveline shop get it checked out.. If yu want a 2wd durango ( rare ) sell the RT and see if yu can find a good one and buy that ...Don`t wreck a good awd RT lol

#8 ·
well must be a south of the border thing lol , i haven`t seen a 2wd only durango up here ,,,,,,,,, then again we use 4x4 / awd for winter and offroad ,,,mud fun alot up here........ be nice to have a rt with just 2wd with no awd / or 4x4 option...........

#10 ·
its hard to find a 2wd durango around here too. i know of one and she lives 5 minutes from me.

my durango is basically and r/t. 5.9 with awd and 3.92 gears.

i swapped the transfercase for the 2wd with optional 4wd out of my old durango and i would never go back unless this one gets fucked up.

when i had my transmission done, thats the main thing i wanted was to have 2wd to do burnouts :drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.