Dakota Durango Forum banner

Manual Trans Swap In Durango

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  johnnydodge99 
#1 ·
Hey Guys....anyone have experience or info regarding swapping a 5 speed manual trans into a 1999 durango 5.2 auto? I will pose this question as well: Will the current transfercase bolt onto an old fashioned 727 trans from the late 80's ? I am aware of the "notch" in the bellhousing issue, thats no big deal. What other pitfalls are there? Crossmembers and such are no big issue for me to modify. This truck will only be used occaisonally not daily driven or used for off-roading/towing or long trips at all. Just want it to be dependable for when I need it. The worst towing will be a very small trailer being moved for about 15 miles ( about 1 thousand pounds total weight ). This would be moved twice a year. I hear and see too many bad stories about the 44re trans. Fuel mileage is not a concern,but we all would like that 5th gear to help out.

#7 ·
Yeah.... Harry's-U-Pull-It.....and now another one called D's U-Pull-It ( it's just a new area of DeNaples Auto Yard ). I only go to harry's for mostly drivetrain parts....rears...manual trannys...transfercases....driveshafts.....etc; Now and then I find gold but, for the most part only half the time I get what I need. It's only 45 minutes for me to go there. Haven't been to D's yet. But you can't beat the prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.