Dakota Durango Forum banner

Rubbing/Grinding noise when making sharp left turns..

16K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dalifts 
#1 ·
99 Dango, 4wd 5.2 with 110k. For a while now I have heard and felt a noise inbetween a "rubbing and grinding" sound when making sharp left turns at slow speeds. Feels like its coming from the front left wheel but im not sure. I know how hard it could be to diagnose something like this so just checking to see if anyone has some suggestions on where to start. I cannot physically see anything wrong with the front end but then again I could be missing something.

I replaced the upper/lower ball joints and inner/outer tie rods about a year ago, new brake pads and rotors a few months ago. When my wife was driving it she thought the "steering felt loose" a few months back, had a hard time keeping it straight on the freeway. I feel it a bit, but I think she was just used to driving the small car. I had her run by les schawb for a diagnosis and they could not find anything wrong.

#2 ·
this maybe stupid but my few days ago i pulled up to my cousins house and he was working on his buddys nissan. heard same noise driving down the street couldnt find anything so i jacked it up and started searching and searching. he had heard the noise for like 2 months now. i thought hmm wonder if its something stupid. idiot had the wheel loose the lug nuts were bout one full turn each loose which was causing the noise.

#8 ·
honestly hard to tell via internet on noise problems lol. id inspect make sure nothing is rubbing when ur at full lock if something is like 1/4inch near the tire u could be rubbing when the body twist as your turning and looks fine when parked. could be back plate on brake hitting had that happen before. still could be cv lol . if your able to jack the car up completely all 4 wheels and put in 4wheel and turn left have someone listen lol yea its a pain but worth a try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.