Dakota Durango Forum banner

Tips for replacing brake lines?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kavisiegel 
#1 ·
I got to remove then reinstall the brake lines on the rear axle of my truck, so I can get in there with some paint.

I've done some reading, and some youtubing, and I think the plan is pretty straightforward. Loosen up the lines, bend out the retaining metal flaps, take the lines out. Put a clamp on the rubber hose section to prevent excessive leaking, then reinstall hoses and bleed the lines.

Anybody got any tips for me?

#3 ·
or, replace them now anyway, so you have the piece of mind of new brake lines. might as well do the main line from the front to the rear while you're at it too.

that's the funny thing with steel--it likes to rust.

why not replace it now instead of wating for your foot to go to the floor at that crucial time when you're trying to avoid hitting that bus full of nuns?

#5 ·
so I'm not missing any steps? man I feel like I'm doing a good job leaning this automotive stuff :banana2:

As far as replacing the lines... they just got replaced about 300 miles ago. I'm pretty sure the shop used stainless, or some sort of alloy.. because there's no rust, it's bare metal, and has a greenish yellow tint.

Should I paint the brake lines too, while they're off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.