Dakota Durango Forum banner

Shifter stuck on "Park"!

23K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  atvrider07 
#1 ·
So I went to the gas station to fill up my Durango with gas. After I was done I went to start it and when I tried to put the shifter into drive, it was stuck. I tried turning off the engine and trying it again. Still stuck! I tried it a couple more times but the damn shifter wouldn't budge. This actually happened to me a couple times within the last month but the shifter was only stuck on park for only a second so I didn't really think much of it. So I finally called up a tow truck and had my Durango towed to the dealership. Paid $100 for towing! Argh!

My Durango is a 2002 4.7L 2WD SLT. I just recently went over 30K miles. Has anyone ever experienced this with their truck? Is this a common occurrence with Durangos?

Also, my truck is still under warranty. Will the dealership reimburse me for the towing? And since my truck has aftermarket lowering kit, will they give me a hard time with that? Thanks and I appreciate any advice.

#2 ·
Sounds like your "shift interlock solenoid" is not working. It's really hard to diagnose electrical problems over the internet. First thing is to check and make sure your brake lights are working. The "shift interlock solenoid" is operated off of the brake switch. There are probably 2 sets of wires on the brake switch itself, if you are somewhat electrically inclined, test the wires with a test light and see if you have power to the brake light switch on 2 of the terminals with the key on, then push the brake pedal and see if power comes through to the other 2 wires. A shop manual or wiring diagram is helpfull here. Otherwise, it's off to the repair shop. Try and find a shop that does electrical work and not just oil changes.

Just my thoughts...consider the source....

Bryan
:drive:

#3 ·
That brake-park interlock seems to have its own sensor actually...

With the ignition on and engine off (radio too, just so its quiet) you should be able to hear the solenoid click when you apply the brake in park. When I shift mine out of park, it doesn't click anymore so I'm lead to beleive it has its own sensor.

At any rate, it is under warranty so they have to fix it and reimburse you for towing.

#5 ·
This might help you,... I dunno. My friend had the same exact problem with his ford... I know, I know,.. it's not even dodge, but they do some things the same way. His problem was a fuse... to make it move without having it towed... you can first put the key to the start position(don't start the motor), then throw the shifter into Neutral, then start the truck, and put it into reverse/drive. This should work.

Paul

#6 ·
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
This might help you,... I dunno. My friend had the same exact problem with his ford... I know, I know,.. it's not even dodge, but they do some things the same way. His problem was a fuse... to make it move without having it towed... you can first put the key to the start position(don't start the motor), then throw the shifter into Neutral, then start the truck, and put it into reverse/drive. This should work.

Paul

had this prob with my 94 cougar I blew a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. this controled the shifter and took me a better part of a day to figure out. I was installing a radio and grounded out the power wire. why it blew that fuse I dont know. but I made sure all connections are completly covered. so look in your engine compartment fuse box for a blown fuse. before looking at those other fixes.

#7 ·
I appreciate all the advice and insight, fellas! Truck is already at the dealership.

It happened at the gas station so I didn't have the time nor was I at the appropriate place to diagnose the problem. Which I probably wouldn't have. So I had no choice but to have it towed there and have the dealership fix it. Good thing I bought the extended warranty at the time I purchased my truck. Funny, when I spoke to the service consultant, he said it would cost $91 to diagnose the problem. I said it's still under warranty and he says it depends on the diagnosis. I was thinking, "WTF?! It shouldn't cost me anything." And they should reimburse me for the towing, correct?

#9 ·
i guess if its not covered under the warranty then they charge you the 91 bucks. but that's a lot to hook it up to the computer. I took my sisters dakota in for a heater core leak and it cost me $55 to diagnose. towing is free if its part of your extended warranty. if not you have to pay for towing.

#10 ·
I agree with jamaack. I don't think it should have anything to do with the solenoid. My durango doesn't need the brake pushed in to move from park. I hope it's not supposed to be pushed in at least! Could it be a linkage problem? Either way the dealership should cover it and the extra charge is BS! I would tell them to stick it! :redx:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.