Dakota Durango Forum banner

Automatic- O/D on or off

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  axax 
#1 ·
I can't decide what's faster and won't be going to the track any time soon.

Any ideas? I feel like O/D off is slower but with higher engine speed, so it just makes a lot of noise and barely takes off...

#3 ·
^^^What he said!
On the long run you'll need O/D, but for something like a drag race you difenitly don't want the O/D on.

Just to give you an idea, here are the time I ran at the track earlier this year without O/D...

Than I let it on for one run....

So it gives you an idea

#4 ·
It might be a little different with the 545rfe. I think if you put the OD off it locks up the converter sooner. I was making some runs with the dynolicious app on my iPhone and when I had OD off I felt the converter in 3rd lock up and the truck slowed. I would imagine you shouldn't see 4th in the quater unless you've got low gears and are running pretty quick.

#6 ·
When I was stock it didn't matter one way or the other because i could run the 1/4 in 2 gears crossing the traps at 6k. With my current setup I need 3rd but if I run with od off it will lock the converter in third gear so most of the time I run it with od on so I don't get the converter lock and once I cross the traps and let off the pass the truck will shift into od. For me it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference but with the 4.7 and the lack of torque when the converter locks it does slow you down

#8 ·
what I seem to notice with O/D off is that I hit the limiter in 2nd and it doesn't want to shift, I feel like I have more control over the truck and how it shifts by using the pedal with O/D on than off, I'll definitely try different ways of driving it once my truck is in proper condition.

I'm running 42RE trans with the 5.2, best time has been 15.9, O/D on

#14 ·
O/D off makes no difference to me until like after 70. if i back off quick and let it lock up it pulls faster. wide open without feathering its still faster for me because it bings the rpms back down into the power at lock around 85 and i will pull it to about 100 and turn it back on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.