Dakota Durango Forum banner

02 4.7 Knock sounds like a lifter

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Dakota w/ a 4.7L. . . . I noticed a little tic a few months ago. The truck ran great. Well, the tic got worse. Now, Ive got a knockin. I pulled the valve cover from the driver side the noise was comming from, replaced the lash adjusters. This didnt fix the knock!
My oil pressure is still good. engine runs great. Stil have knock. I think deep in the engine.
Any suggestions? thinking that I may have bent a con rod. Also, this truck is a hard starter, Takes 2-3 times of rolling over before she takes off. Most of the time it stays running

#2 ·
Assuming its knocking at idle and all the time you could unplug each coil one at a time and if the noise goes away then that cylinder is your problem (bad connecting rod bearing/ really bad piston slap). Also engine timing could be really wacked out causing a ping too. Why do you think you have a bad connecting rod did you suck in water some how?

#4 ·
ive pulled all coils, no change. Ive put in new valve adj/lifters, no change nothing on top seems out of normal. Im stuck. knock is constant. did put some trans fluid into the vacuum, this quieted the hammer for a min but returned. My truck runs great, sounds like ass though. Im thinkin that if I had a bad bearing, I would have shelled the engine by now. Ive put 3000 miles on the sucker sounding like ass. Scrathing my head!

#7 ·
sounds like a broken manifold bolt or rusty or cracked manifold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.