Dakota Durango Forum banner

"no bus" in odometer screen?

51K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Micheal Giron 
#1 ·
So the 02 durango r/t has been dying constantly. no warnings just dies while driving. It will no longer start, no guages move, all lights stay on but the odometer screen reads "no bus" and the truck wont start... any ideas? please help

#8 ·
I dont need to go back and read it.....I read it the first time. had the EXACT same problem. No gauges, "no bus" displayed in my od. I unplugged the CPS and got my gauges back. Replaced the CPS, gauges came back and truck runs like new. Did you read any of the google articles or are you just being a fucktard? The PCM looses contact with one of the 5volt sensors and "no bus" is displayed.

#11 ·
Did you read any of the google articles or are you just being a fucktard?
If you are not too busy being a dick, maybe you can read......
wow....the name calling was uncalled for, farm boy, fight club has been deleted...you will need to refrain from that sort of posting in the site anymore, or reported post will ensue

...I guess I will bow :bow: to your superior searching intellect and just use Google from now on for all diagnostic troubles in all cars..or I can just ask you for help on any car troubles from here forward

good luck getting anywhere in life with an attitude like that

#14 ·
I've been on a number of Dodge/Durango/Dakota web forums for 10+ years and have seen this problem many times. Aside from a couple of 98's and 00's, they're all mostly 99's. It's not an uncommon problem. I sold my factory 99 PCM to someone having the same problem as I'm running a Mopar Performance PCM. I never heard from him so it must have fixed it.

The Factory Service Manual indicates ground connections may be the cause and to check them but the usual fix has been to replace the PCM. A few have tried the PCM connectors but I'm not sure how many have found the connectors to be the problem.

Here are links to posts on several forums

www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie…ight=bus#88940

www.ecudirect.com,

www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show…ghlight=no+bus

www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie…ht=bus&start=0

www.dakota-durango.com/forum/…&highlight=bus

www.dakota-durango.com/forum/…&highlight=bus

www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie…ight=bus#35726

www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie…ight=bus#13790

A fix that wasn't the PCM

www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie…ight=bus#36898

The first link shows places to get a used PCM. I haven't used any of them or really know about them other than copying from posts where people who said they used them. When buying a used PCM, it has to be from the same year, engine, 4x2/4x4. If you don't have the factory alarm, which you said is the case, the PCM can't have been used in a vehicle that has the factory alarm option. The PCM part numbers are the same regardless if whether it's been used in a alarm/non-alarm vehicle and, if it's been used in an alarm enabled vehicle, something gets set in the PCM and it won't work in a non-alarm vehicle! It'll start for a second but then shut off. I've had first experience with this and it's also a known situation on the forum. The second post is from someone who had the no bus issue and got replacement PCMs for his non-alarm vehicle. Two of them didn't work because they had the security feature enabled.

So, if you do seek a used PCM, be VERY specific about whether the donor vehicle had the factory alarm/security option. Also don't "borrow" a PCM from a non security vehicle. It'll work in yours but, after a number of starts, it won't work in theirs again!

The other thing is the VIN. The PCM has to have a VIN (any VIN) entered in it. If there's no VIN, the ABS/Brake lights will come on. The vehicle will run fine, but the VIN will need to be entered to turn off the lights. It's a simple task with a DRB scan tool by the dealer and only takes a couple minutes but a dealer will charge 0.5-1 hr labor. Some of the remanufacturers offer to enter your VIN. I don't know that they really do it as, If it's used, it more than likely already has a VIN and, as far as I know, it can't be changed… I know the dealer can't do it. The VIN doesn't have to match your vehicle as it won't affect how it works and no one checks the VIN for anything.

The last thing is there's "supposed" to be a mileage setting in the PCM. I haven't found for sure if there really is any mileage indication stored in it but, regardless, it's not used for anything. The odometer mileage is stored in the gauge cluster.

#15 ·
the mileage is used to compare vs the odo when you sell it or for insurance.

it is best to have it fixed if you swap the pcm, but you dont NEED to

#19 ·
I just had the same thing happen when i swapped out the motors in my durango. It was the grounds located on the driver side of the motor behind the a/c pump. Should be two of them. I put new ends on mine and hooked them back up and the durango started right up and ran no problems. I was getting the no bus in the odometer and no gauges moved when i cranked the motor.

I have read every post in this and I understand you guys think it is the pcm but it is always easier to check the simple little things before dropping big money.

#20 ·
are you getting any codes when you do a system scan(hold down the odometer button and do the key thing three times)-i had/have this problem and keep getting 920,921,and 999 as codes- also got the "no bus" on my odometer sometimes,,switched pcm's and still had the same problem,,went to check my other sensors and the only one that made a difference was the crank sensor,,wiggled it (the wiring) and the "no bus " disappeared and my truck ran fine,,my sensor was replaced by dodge about 4 months ago so i'm waiting till i get more time to check further,, i know everybody keeps saying the pcm's bad but i want to check other things first. kuddos to "frmboybuck " for mentioning this,,

#21 ·
Check a hiden ground!!!

Hey, 02blackrt. I've had similar symptoms with my ‘02 Durango 4x4. I have check all the sensor, nothing. I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor and idle air control valve. Still nothing. I found this site. I’ve did almost everything. I checked and cleaned every ground in the engine compartment. Every wire that I thought might have did anything, I checked it. I was just about to forked out over $700 for a new computer. Just as I was doing something else under the truck, I saw a single ground wire that came from the back of the engine compartment. So I followed it. It lead me to a strange place. In the left front tire well where it ran into about a dozen ground wires. In that nest of wire I found one wire, corroded and broken off. Cleaned. Repaired, Replaced. Turned the key, veroom. It purred like a kitten. Why Dodge would put an important ground there, only god would know. So check everywhere, even behind a tire. Good luck! ((( :mullet: )))

#23 ·
I have a 2000 dodge dakota 2 wheel drive with 133000 miles. It is manual and has a 2.4. I have never had a problem until the other day I went out to start it and it would crank but wouldn't start. I took it to a shop and they said that it was the fuel pump. They changed it and still no start. We then changed the pcm nothing. It shows no bus so we sent the pcm back and the sent a different one reprogrammed still no bus. I am wondering if I should just sell it and quit putting money into it. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.