Dakota Durango Forum banner

transfer case problems

17K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Junkydakota 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2001 dakota quadcab with the 244d awd transfer case and i'm pretty sure its going bad. It started off with a low rumble this morning and within a mile it was making a squealing/howling/gravel in a dryer sound that was worse when you hit the throttle but eventually was all the time. The service 4wd light came and went a few times but when I locked it in 4wd high or low they both worked. I pulled the fill plug but didn't see any metal at all. Any ideas? Also could I swap in a 233(?) t-case so I could get a little better mileage? If so does the wiring or computers need swapped? Also can I pull the front shaft and drive without problems?

#2 ·
I've got a 2001 dakota quadcab with the 244d awd transfer case and i'm pretty sure its going bad. It started off with a low rumble this morning and within a mile it was making a squealing/howling/gravel in a dryer sound that was worse when you hit the throttle but eventually was all the time. The service 4wd light came and went a few times but when I locked it in 4wd high or low they both worked. I pulled the fill plug but didn't see any metal at all. Any ideas? Also could I swap in a 233(?) t-case so I could get a little better mileage? If so does the wiring or computers need swapped? Also can I pull the front shaft and drive without problems?
Sounds like the front drive shaft CV joint is taking a dump. Pull the front shaft, put it in 4wd so the truck will move and see if the sound is still there.

Switching to a 233 won't gain you much since in 2wd all the parts in the front still turn.

Reactions: HemiDak
#10 ·
The shaft from advanced came with a u joint at both ends and a sticker on it saying the problematic cvs are replaced with ujoints and spin balanced to 3500 rpm. Well I read on ebay the same thing from a place selling the shafts but they did not recommend them for awd applications. And it turns out i'm getting a vibration from about 65-70 mph on up, and even a little bit when braking to a stop. So should I have a cv shaft instead? Will this ruin my transfer case front bearing?? I'm worried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.