Dakota Durango Forum banner

Mini spool or full spool for 8.25

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob454 
#1 ·
Does anyone offer either of these for a dana 35?

#6 ·
There is no spool made for either axle you are asking about that I know of anyway, you will either need to get a locker (which is the MUCH better option imo) or weld the spiders up.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I don't drive the truck much so that is not a concern of mine as far as the wheels locking. I had one in my OSCA true street mustang and i drove it on the street 30 miles for every race and it was fine. I may go with another option, as i don't want to weld the spider gears.

#10 ·
I would not recommend welding the spider gears. We did that back in the early 90's on our street cars, had a few welds break over the years and caused all kinds of problems with one rear. Might have had something to do with 18-19 year old's with next to no welding experience. LOL.. As stated a spool is a bear to drive in a truck. I have one in my 91 (8 3/4 rear) and I got caught out in the rain once this past summer and got plenty of "drifting" in on the trip home. Nearly impossible not to get the truck sideways with drag radials on the rear. I would get a locker if it's going to be street driven.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

#11 ·
i daily drive with a locker and 4.56 gears its fine a little different then a lsd

#12 ·
My daily driver has a locker in the rear too, I've had spools in my last 3 wheelin rigs and they have all driven fine. I think the drag radials in the rain was the cause of the drifting, not the spool. The spool probably just exagerrated the problem lol.

#14 ·
If youre gonna do it do it right. if you weld the gears you better be a good welder and have a clean surface cause if those gears break when youre driving youll either spin out or possibly lose control cause your rear could potentially lock up
I woudlnt weld the spiders on anything except a totally off road dedicated vehicle. If its welded right you will probably see a long decent life out of the diff but if its a crappy weld job you can cause yourself headaches.
Also pull the diff out of the housing if youre gonna weld.
I welded one for a buddy of mine who had a jeep and it was strictly for the farm. i welded the front and rear diffs. he only used the jeep to go drive around on the pastures and out hunting where he didnt have high speed driving.
if i were you I would go get a EZ locker or a regular locker rather than weld a open diff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.