Dakota Durango Forum banner

Tire Chains/Cables

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ColoDak 
#1 ·
Where would I go to buy some tire chains and/or cables? About how much should a set cost?

I want to try a bit of off roading (when I find it) but that will not be my Dak's primary purpose, so it needs stay streetable, very streetable, and we all know a stuck truck is not steetable.

So, I would like to buy some tire chains and/or cables, so that I can have better traction in situations where 'streetable' tires may not have the needed traction.

#5 ·
Ive seen guys put chains on trucks when off road in muddy situations. the only problem I see is sometimes it requires soem wheel spin and chains dont do well at high RPM tire spinning but I have seen guys use chains for extra traction. You just gotta be careful
Rob

#6 ·
I can't speak highly enough of my Mickey Thompson MTZs. The most streetable mud tire that I've ever seen. Using chains or cables to try and make a street tire capable seems sort of pointless to me. There's no way that I can see that working as well as a mud tire, or even a decent all terrain. Not to mention you're not supposed to do more than 35mph on most chains, IIRC. I've seen my speedometer reading higher than that when I've been in some decent mud holes. Chains or cables coming apart at speed could be disastrous to your truck, or worse yet, you or a bystander.

#7 ·
I run BFG A/T's year round, rain/snow/sun highway driving. My Dak has been cross country 4 times with these tires. First off, you really can't run tire chains on the front, there is a risk things getting torn up. That said, theywill only be beneficial for off-roading in mud or snow. A decent set that will work and last will run you about $100.00, but as others have said, get a good A/T tire and it will do all you need.

#9 ·
You might as well go for some 31s. Little wider foot print. For a 235 75 15 ( the 235 70 15 are rare to find in a mt or at) expect to pay anywhere form 75$ for a AT and about 90 for a MT. for a 31 add about 20-30$ for each respectively.

#10 ·
chains (cables) are ok for mud, but not really desirable offroad since a snag can break them and then they willl likely rip out your brake lines.

The other problem with offroading with chains is when you articulate your suspension - especially if turning the steering wheel to the stops. The chains (or cables) will likely scrape the wheelwells/bumper/frame. Bad juju when this happens.

Chains are best for road use in icey or snowy weather when you are not offroad.

#11 ·
I don't care what kind of tire you run nothing beats the bite of a good set of chains, especially in icy or muddy conditions. A good set of V-bar chains will work good in all conditions. The main thing with chains is to get them tight and keep them tight so they can't chew up your body panels. If you have the clearance to run chains on all 4 wheels you will be amazed how much more directional control and stability you have in off camber situations offroad when conditions are sloppy.

#12 ·
not sure what vehicle or tires you are running, but Gen 1 durangos and gen 2 daks have very little room for chains. In fact, with the largest stock tires, the only option was to use cable chains. If you turn your steering wheel all the way, you will have minimal clearance and if you are traveling uneven terrain, you will make contact.

#13 ·
The chains were used on the old full size pickups that didn't have the clearance issues. Often a smaller tire (for clearance) with chains will get you a lot farther than big aggressive rubber without chains, especially if the ground is slick with little chance of digging in. They work very well for hard pack clay or frozen ground. Agreed the Dakotas have little clearance for chains, especially the front, but even a set on the rear would make an extreme difference in traction under these conditions.

#15 · (Edited)
Use quality chains and keep them tight and use bungee cords to help keep the loose ends under control. We ran chains on all 4 years ago when I worked for a Seismic crew, I could get almost 50mph before my chains started slapping the fenders:D. Everyone else was lucky to get 20 or so before having problems.

Chains aren't for everyone or every situation but they can be a good tool when used correctly.

#17 ·
As stated before, chains are perfectly fine to use for slick situations. I realize there isn't too much clearance room, but they'll work. And if you have only one set of chains, they go on the front! No sense in putting them on the back where you still won't have any traction anyway. Bungees are a must. And I've seen new chains around for about $60 a pair. I don't know, perhaps there are "better" ones out there for that $100. But then again, all terrain tires plus chains can't be beat.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.