Dakota Durango Forum banner

Infinity System speakers

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  rrob5382 
#1 ·
What kind of speakers come on an infinity system in the doors??

My aftermarket kenwoods sound like crap and I remember my fathers 00 SLT Plus had amazing sound.

#2 ·
Stock infinities suck. Not to mention they are still using paper cones.

#3 ·
Stock infinities suck. Not to mention they are still using paper cones.

#4 ·
He did not ask how you thought they were, he just asked what kind were in there. As he stated he thinks they have amazing sound.

#5 ·
Exactly. I know there is better out there, but as far as OEM speakers go in middle upper class vehicles, I remember his Durango had some pretty sweet sound.

I just want to make sure I put the same thing in, but better material in there so I can get the best sound from the stock system.

#6 ·
Bad ears to think they are good! What kind, cheapo's. You don't get it, they make cheap speakers for cars and label them as infinity for the name. Name doesn't mean they are good. Alot of manufatures do that on lots of different things. Take one out of the door and look at it and tell me it is quality. It's like comparing a tv speaker to a pioneer 8" sub, no looks no quality and no good sound. Paper is the worst thing to use for outside, and you guys wonder why they blow quick. You can buy cheap ones that are built and sound much better.

#7 ·
Again you missed the point of his question, he just wants to know what speakers are in there. If he likes the sound of them, what does it hurt you? If you dont like it then I guess you could just not ride in his durango and you wont have to hear it!

#9 ·
I did?

Bad ears to think they are good! What kind, cheapo's. You don't get it, they make cheap speakers for cars and label them as infinity for the name. Name doesn't mean they are good. Alot of manufatures do that on lots of different things. Take one out of the door and look at it and tell me it is quality. It's like comparing a tv speaker to a pioneer 8" sub, no looks no quality and no good sound. Paper is the worst thing to use for outside, and you guys wonder why they blow quick. You can buy cheap ones that are built and sound much better.
Do you see now? They are not a publicised model for sale cause they are crap, just fillers.

#8 ·
Look dude, they sounded a hell of a lot better than the speakers in the Titan. Not as good as the loaded Altima. Better then the Acura RL. Almost as good as the BMW 328.

Maybe yours just sound like shit. My 01 did. And still sounds like shit with the kenwoods using the factory spacers. I have my infinity speakers I need to install. But wondering if the other infinity speakers are worth upgrading to.

#10 ·
But wondering if the other infinity speakers are worth upgrading to.
No, it's just like an air filter. You don't so call upgrade to oem....

#12 ·
either go all stock on the infinity system, or all aftermarket. don't mix/match.

first, the impedence is different. if standard speakers are 4, then the infinity's are 2. or the other way around...I can never remember, I'm not really a stereo guy.

but, the amp is matched to the speakers, and it's meant to work as a set.

my dakota had an aftermarket head unit, kicker drivers, the stock infinity tweeters, and the stock amp bypassed.

sounded like crap. the highs out of the infinity tweeters were so high, it would make your ears bleed, and no bass from the kickers.

I just put in a set of Alpine component set speakers, and already, it sounds better. but still not the bass I want.

but, I'm happy because I know that for the bass I want, I need a sub and amp. not after all out volume, so I think an 8" sub with a "mild" amp would work fine. just gotta go find them and buy them and install them!:jester:

#13 ·
See that's what I was wondering. I won't go to oem speakers but I do want to upgrade to a better speaker. If I remember right, kenwoods were 4s.

#14 ·
In all honesty your best bet is to ditch the stock Infinity head unit, sell it here or on eBay maybe, and get a good quality aftermarket head unit and run new speaker wires directly from the radio to the speakers. Take the funky factory stuff out of the equation altogether. Its more work I know, but the best and maybe the only way to really get a good quality sound back out of it.

#15 ·
Eh that's too much work.

I'm not looking for mind blowing sound. Just sound that sounds right.

I don't blare my music loud wiht the windows down. I don't have my bass cranked up so high my mirrors vibrate.

I just like my music clear, and the bass to sound like it should. Shouldn't be hard to do when running at 1/4 the power.

As for the head unit, I'm trying to find an RB1 so I can have navigation while keeping a stock look. I already have an ipod and XM so no need for CD or radio.

#16 ·
You could just bypass the amp, its easy enough if you have any knowledge at all in wiring and I did mine in 20 minutes. Thats much easier and quicker than re-wiring all of the speakers. There was somebody on here that made harnesses to bypass the amp or you could wire it up yourself.http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4550

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.