Dakota Durango Forum banner

2004 4.7 to 5.7 HEMI swap

49K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  George 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 4.7l dodge dakota. im looking to put a 5.7l hemi in it. the only thing stopping me right now is wiring. does anyone know if they make a wiring harness that would plug from the 5.7 hemi and computer right into the fire wall so i don't have to change the entire wiring harness under the dash. any suggestions?

#2 ·
No matter what you don't have to change the wiring harness under the dash. Just the harness between the power distribution unit and the engine control unit. I'm not aware of any prebuilt plug & play harness, however, I'm sure you could find people to build a custom harness,if you can afford it. If you have some knowledge of automotive wiring / system and can read wiring diagrams and pin-outs you can do it yourself. It just takes a lot of time comparing the host vs. donor electrical systems.

#4 ·
LOL.......no it's not that easy! As I said you have to compare wiring diagrams. Connect wire with same function from 5.7 to wire with same function from 4.7.

#6 · (Edited)
2003-2007 you won't have to rewire the truck but you will need to change some connecters and possibly extend some leads. What you will need is the mopar performance cable throttle body, a data logger, sct tuner, a couple connector, and some fabrication skills for the oil pan and engine mounts. Both the 4.7 and 5.7 share how they pick up the information for timing etc and some 4.7 sensors can be used in place of the 5.7 ones. The only thing is you want to use a 5.7 from a ram as they will not require an intake swap and front accessory cover swap. I would highly recomend getting on some of the hemi ram forums before considering this swap and learning some about the enigne and what is available for it.

#7 ·
what i was thinking was change that plug on the new harness, put in a new motor, ecu, and harness as wall as get a new gas pedal that will work with the electronic throttle body. i already have a flashpaq tuner. i know the HEMI is alot more customizable than my 4.7 now. and i know how to weld and fab. thats no problem

#8 ·
But that's just it you don't need the drive by wire system. All youll have to do is have the 4.7's computer Customed tuned to run the hemi a flashpaq will not work. That is what the SCT is for the data logger is used to help the tuner dial it in. What I posted in my previous post is alot easier then rewiring the vehicle.

#9 ·
a new cable operated throttle body is pretty pricy. i think it would just be cheaper to get the new pedal. right? if i wanted to use the 4.7 computer how would the 5.7 harness fit onto that. its not the same plug. id think it would just be easier to use the 5.7 harness and ecu and just change that one plug going to the fuse block.

#10 ·
There's alot more to it then that. You would have to verify and repin the other conectors that are already in the vehicle. I have not done much research on this to know what all will change there. There is a guy on eBay that sells adapter that would go to a gm tb that you could pick up from a junk yard.

#11 ·
Im not going to lie to you this swap isn't so easy you can have it done in a day. With the right tools and some help I have no doubt someone can do it in a week. I see what your talking about with the act tune and all but that just sounds pricey... For the throttle I just used the Apps box because I don't have the skills or supplies to make a bracket for the pedal, I have both by the way so if you want a pedal hit me up and ill give it to you with the connector plug for the price of shipping

#12 ·
I used a 2003 engine, transmission, harness and computer with 16000 miles that I got for $2900. The connectors you will splice into on a 2001 truck are the two in the fuse box and the c3 PCM connector. The hardest part for me was not knowing very much on how to remove an engine.

#14 ·
If you decide to do it the way villa did I would recomend going with a 2005 hemi and computer. There are better tuning options for the 05 and newer rams then the 03's. The 03's are the basterd child when it comes to tuning. I only recomend that incase you decide down the road to change the cam and get alittle crazy with the engine.

#18 ·
Yeah I know about the 03 not being as easy to tinker with but it was an impulse buy haha. For the crude control I just picked up some switches yesterday to see if I can get it to work. I have thought about doing what others said about swapping out the steering wheel with one from a hemi but I diet feel like trying to rig something up so I just took the cool little buttons and an overhead console

#20 ·
I'm in the same boat as alot of people on here. Just doing research and seeing whats involved. I have an 03 Dak and I want this thing to be factory looking/acting when I'm done. So once I get the hemi in and hooked up, I would be reusing the factory dakota computer, which means I dont have to worry about any of the gray key B.S. right? And as long as I can come up with a bracket for the cruise I should be alright on that working too right? Now my last question is, with the SCT tunes, you cannot remove torque management on a 4.7 Dak. If it is reflashed to run a Hemi, can torque management be removed? Putting one of these in an 03+ Dak seems to be fairly straightforward on paper.... I hope. haha

#21 ·
YA! 5.7 in a gen1

I have everything to make this happen and have had 4 mechanics bail on this project with me. I have an 05 HEMI out of a RAM (With MDS meh....) and full bolt ons for both the 4.7 setup and the hemi. I also have both trannys and I am completely stumped on the wiring. I have dunmped a ton of cash into this already and just need a little direction. Is this post still active, because I would love to get some feedback.

Mark

#22 ·
I have everything to make this happen and have had 4 mechanics bail on this project with me. I have an 05 HEMI out of a RAM (With MDS meh....) and full bolt ons for both the 4.7 setup and the hemi. I also have both trannys and I am completely stumped on the wiring. I have dunmped a ton of cash into this already and just need a little direction. Is this post still active, because I would love to get some feedback.

Mark

Look here

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75706

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.