Dakota Durango Forum banner

02 Durango A/C working but no cold air from dash

15K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LB3711 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Durango SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. The truck has 96,000 mi on it and the A/C has always worked just fine until 2 days ago. When I turn on the A/C the compressor runs properly, the discharge line out of the compressor is getting icy cold, I get chilled air coming out of the rear A/C ducts in the headliner, but I get warm (non A/C) air coming from the dash vents. The HVAC selector on the dash is working properly (goes from defrost, panel vents, floor when put in the appropriate position), fan is blowing on all speeds, just no cold air from dash. Again the rear A/C is still blowing cold. Could there be something wrong with the temp selector on the dash? Its one of those that have 2 knobs for driver & pass temp.

#3 ·
Others can correct me if I am wrong, but here's my guess (since mine was a 2000). I would suspect a blend door problem (dual zone systems have 2 blend doors). But, this is where I am not sure, the 01's went to a servo motor for the blend door, as opposed to a cable on the 00's. I would bet the 02's are the same as the 01's. Please see attached a page from an 01 FSM. Note the part where it says that the servo motor knows the stops of the blend door and will throw a code if not detected. It also says that there is a calibration procedure to learn the stops. That may be your issue, the blend door is not completely closing or the pivot tab is broken, giving you nice warm air in the summertime. Not sure if this is your issue, but a guess since you have cold air in the rear :D.

Attachments

#4 ·
This sytem, while simple, is just a bit to complicated for the average person to work on or diagnose, a DRB III is needed to properly do it. Being that the ac in the rear is cool but neither the left or right side is blowing cold in the front leads me to believe that there is a control problem...obviously. This is of course assuming that the system is properly charged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.