Dakota Durango Forum banner

Dodge Durango VIN meaning

55K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  99dodurango6 
#1 ·
ok So after searching a couple of sites, I found what may be all the meaning of each digit on the VIN for our Durango (1998-2003)

Digit 1: (Country where it was built) should always be 1 (USA)

Digit 2: (Companie who built it) B (Dodge from 2002 -) / D (Dodge from 2003 +)

Digit 3: (Vehicule type) 4 (Multipurpose) / 8 (???) I don't know why some are 8... don't even know what 8 stands for...)

Digit 4: (Gross vehicule weight) should always be H (6001-7000lbs.)

Digit 5: (Drivetrain) R (2WD) / S (4x4)

Digit 6: (Trim package) 2 (Base model) / 3 (Sport or SXT) / 4 (SLT) / 5 (SLT+) / 7 (R/T)

Digit 7: (Body style) 8 (4 door wagon)

Digit 8: (Engine size) N (4.7L) / X (3.9) / Y (5.2) / Z (5.9L)

Digit 9: (Check digit) only a check digit, says nothing on the truck's info

Digit 10: (Year) W (1998) / X (1999) / Y (2000) / 1 (2001) / 2 (2002) / 3 (2003)

Digit 11: (Assembly plant) should always be F (Newark, DE)

Digit 12 to 17: (Build sequence) the last 6 digits reprsent the build sequence of the truck

There you go hope it help to some of us... keep in mind that I did that by searching info on the net and that I could be wrong... But I did my best to find this out...

See less See more
#3 ·
thats weird one my 02' is a #7 and just describes as just as a "Truck" and the #8 baffled my info from a 2001 dakota manual lookup, who knows the what the mystery #8 is my thoughts could be a void to complete the VIN process??? just a thought maybe wrong

#4 ·
What makes up an SLT or SLT+? My vin says I'm base model but I have heated leather power seats, heated mirrors, Infinity stereo, and SLT badging. I'm confused.:huh: And yes that is the way it came from the factory. I bought it from the original owner.

#6 ·
Reactions: DakotaLivLrg
#10 · (Edited)
My VIN has a 2 in the 6th position....which doesnt match anything on that list...help anyone?

Could my DUR have the wrong badging on it...i mean its fully loaded with the R/T stitched into the front seats....

#12 ·
thats cool your full blooded R/T unfortunate Iam in league of SXT gang in the pit but you R/T guys and gals (out there) you got to watch us we might be hiding something under the hood you all not known what we have modify or added. To me SXT means Some Extra Trim included LOL.. or Sleeping X tra T o get you when least expected LOL... . And to add most you have a nameplate with few more dress up items and bit bigger cam to get the extra HP some of the few things that I know but don't know that the 6th position only tells trim level from base (SXT) SLT(Sport Larmine Trim) might of spelled wrong to R/T (Road & Track) ? but everyone could come up what R/T means to them form the 60's Rapid Transit to .... enjoy the performance goodies and add where you can to keep those mustangs at the ranch in the stable LOL...
:jester:

#14 · (Edited)
From what I am gathering, the number 2 designation is probably "special equipment" or special order vehicles. These vehicles I think were customer ordered types. For instance mine also says "2" and my Durango has pretty much every option like all leather, Homelink, 8 speaker Infinity stereo, optional tow package, 3.55 rear end with limited slip diff (I thought only the 3.92s had the LSD rear end), 4 wheel ABS and a Hayden tranny cooler with Mopar product code stickers on it. But it still has "2" in the 6th digit place.

#15 ·
Hi guys! I know this is an ancient thread. But I aint so fresh myself and neither is my 2K Durango.

But I'm trying to figure out exactly which trans is in my Durango and thought maybe I could figure it to by the VIN. Not yet. Like a couple of previous posters on this thread, my Durango has a 6th digit of "2".

Mine is an SLT with 5.2L, 2wd, Auto Trans, Cloth seats (GOOD! I HATE leather car seats), factory tow package.

Checking the http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2004/docs/intro/vin.pdf chart shows that a "2" in the 6th position is not right for a Durango. Checking my Owner's Manual I find under "Fluid Capacities" it says that all 5.2 and 5.9 have a 46RE. But many other sources say all sorts of 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, all of which are indistinguishable externally.

So my questions are:
- Has anybody come up with any better info on the 6th digit question?
- Why do we have a "2" when the list says it cannot be a "2"?
- What does the "2" ACTUALLY mean?
- Where can I go for GOOD info on my trans?

#17 ·
Here is a helpful video about testing for vacuum. Als(https://youtu.be/qTzDY95aqXg) also quick question did you get an o.e.m IAC valve. So related to the vacuum link video one gentleman had trouble with his several times ordered one off line and it didn't fix the problem, then he did a o.e.m and it fixed it. Also try the crank sensor or pick-up coil can also cause the stall at idle or dropping into neutral. Ill find that video if I can and post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.