Dakota Durango Forum banner

03 Won't shift out of park...

17K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Beamrat 
#1 ·
Long time lurker...first time poster. :wave:

Figures it's a trans Q!! Truck just went out of warrenty about 2k miles ago, and I haven't had any problem with it in the 2 years that I've owned it.

I can hear some sort of "click" when the brake pedel is pressed...I'm guessing its some sort of sensor, but I came up snakeeyes in the haynes manual.

Any idea what this widget is called?

Oh...BTW its a 4.7 SLT with fulltime AWD...

Thanks!

#4 ·
this is just a guess and i havent had this prob with my dakota but with another truck i had it wouldnt shift because the cable from the shifter to the tranny broke...try going under the truck and pushing the thing into a diff gear manually...make sure there is someone else with you to hold their foot on the break and make sure it doesnt move...:huh:...good luck

#10 ·
'02 stuck in park

Seems I am experiencing the same problem with my '02 DD since relocating to Iowa. It only happens in the winter and after the vehicle runs and warms up for a long period of time, it will eventually shift into gear. While waiting for this to happen yesterday morning, I removed the rubber boot at the base of the shift arm and found the shift lock. I pressed it in and I was able to shift. Now, I just have to find out what is causing it to stick.

My first suspect was the solenoid (sp?) that engages when the brake is depressed. I can hear the click but the shift locking mechanism does not always disengage.

Like I said before, it only happens only when it is cold (less than 15 degrees).

Any thoughts?

#14 ·
How to fix a Durango that will not shift out of park

I have an 03 Durango and about a year ago it would not shift out of park at the gas station in Iowa when the temp was below zero. After messing with it for 15 minutes it shifted. Yesterday it happened again at about 4 below. Today at about 30 above it worked. I did some investigating and found mine does not have any interlock between the brake and shifter. When the key is turned of in park a rectangular pin is forced out mechanically by the turning action of the key switch. When the key is turned back on without touching the brake the pin retracts and the shifter can then move into gear. Nothing to do with the brake pedal. I couldn't find any grease that may be hanging the pin up in cold weather but I suspect that may be the cause and it may be back in the mechanism. It looks like the system relies on a spring to pull the pin back when the key is turned on. I could bind the pin by pulling down on the shift lever while in park and then when I turned the key on the pin would not retract. Today it would retract if I wiggled the shifter with the key on. I did leave the boot out of position on the shift lever and then I can see the pin and push it back in if it sticks again. We have at least three more months of cold that may cause this again and I don't want to be stuck somewhere when it is cold. Hope this help someone.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info.....It may very well be usefull infomation someday.

I havent had any problems all year... till we had that 1st cold snap and then it was being a PIA to get out...only did it that 1 day.

Good thing is that im in SC for the next week so I wont have to worry about it.....till I get back to the tundra!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.