Dakota Durango Forum banner

AC mode door actuator

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tone loc 
#1 ·
Hi all--longtime lurker and first time poster here.

I bought a 2003 QuadCab SLT, 4.7, auto with 73000 miles in July. The first owner kept the truck in excellent shape.

Just recently I've started having intermittent problems with the AC mode...it will not blow through the panel vents. I've searched posts at this forum and subscribed first to ClintonDIY.com and, because Clinton was not very helpful, subscribed also to AlldataDIY.com, which was helpful (as you can tell, I would highly recommend AlldataDIY over ClintonDIY.) Here is what I have learned:

Contrary to a few posts here (and to some of Clinton's info), my 2003 is purely electrically actuated--no vacuum is involved. I crawled under the driver's side dash and located both the blend door actuator and the mode door actuator. While the truck was idling, I operated the AC mode controller and saw that the actuator was operating--spinning the cam that controls the 3 doors--floor, panel and defrost. At this point I wanted to double-check the panel door lever to make sure that it is not stuck. I removed the actuator and the cam and manually operated all 3 doors individually--all doors felt normal (at least to me as an automotive AC neophyte.) I reassembled the cam and actuator and still got the same results--no panel airflow. When set at the panel positions, it blows out of the floor vents.

Upon further reading at AlldataDIY, it said that there is a recalibration procedure that is actuated by the DRB III scanner. I'm now thinking that I need to get this system scanned and the HVAC doors recalibrated since I've visually confirmed that the mode door actuator and AC controller are operational. Would you agree? Should I take it to the local Dodge dealership or an auto AC shop? Once there, should I just ask them to scan and recalibrate the AC doors or should I expect them to give me the results of any DTC's that are logged?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

See less See more
#3 ·
My guess..... The recirculation mode door is broken.

Reach up under the dash and see if you can move the recirc door or feel if it is laying down when it should be up. This is a common problem in the Ram pickup and old body Grand Cherokees. So I suspect the same problem is going on here. The knob works all the positions, but the same thing happens, very little airflow out of any vent.

Brian

#4 ·
Jason,
Thanks for the opinion. Certainly I would look for an AC shop that was equipped with a DRB III.

Ranger,
The recirc door is operating properly. The mode actuator does not interface with the recirc actuator. The AC controller sends signals to both but neither is dependent upon the other.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 ·
Anyone remember how good these worked when they were controlled by cables and simple vacuum motors instead of computer controlled electronic actuators?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.