Dakota Durango Forum banner

new water pump, still leaking?!?

15K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SCD318 
#1 ·
i put a new waterpump in my truck about 2 months ago in a gravel driveway up state new york. It recently started leaking so i pulled the pump off and put a NEW gasket under it and some waterpump silicone.:waiting: so i let it sit for a while to set up and began filling it with water. once it filled up enough to make it to the water pump it began to leak agian, same spot i dont get it. what do you guys use to seal the pumps? i have built a few motors and i cant get a fuckin water pump to seal wtfs goin on here?!? :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

#2 ·
Are you sure both gasket surfaces are clean and not damaged? Best thing I've ever found to use on paper type gaskets is Permatex Aviation Sealer (the thick brown gooey stuff in the bottle). Put a coat of that on both sides and also use teflon paste on the bolts that go all the way into the water jacket. Torque the bolts to the PROPER torque value in sequence. One other thing, check to be sure the water pump surface is true and flat. I have seen water pump housings warped in the past right out of the box. Can you for sure see that the coolant is leaking past the water pump gasket? There is a gasket behind the timing cover that can leak also, and if you can't get a clear view, could appear to be the pump gasket instead. Hope this helps a little.

#4 ·
True. You mean the bypass hose that you can't see? Whoever designed the accessory bracket must have been a practical joker!

#5 ·
pulled it apart pulled accessory bracket off, polished both surfaces with a die grinder and sealed it with waterpump and thermostat gasket goop, seems to be sealed. now i gotta figure out how to get the green anti freeze off the motor!

#7 ·
its dried up and kinda like a powder. gonna have to gunk/powerwash, repeat...

#8 ·
i would get a disc polisher or something, with that gasket remover stuff. spray the remover on the surface, let it sit, then polish it all off with the disk. wipe it all down, then apply a thin coat of high temp silicone, then add some to the waterpump body, then lay the gaket on the water pump. doing like a sandwhich type of thing. works for me. torqe the bolts bown evenly, allow some time for the pump to set up, then fill and start it up.

die grinder? god, i hope your not talking with an actual grinding bit though. if so, it wont ever seal up. the two mating surfaces arent totally flat. if thats the case, get a long file, and see if you can bring the surfaces back in shape.

#9 ·
nah i used one of them brillo pad like deals. takes just enough off to clean them up to as new condition. its sealed now!

gotta figure out why my new rear speakers arent workin... front ones work, rear dont...

#10 ·
oh ok. had me worried man. was about to say, if ya did, id have to internet slap you..lmao

#11 ·
and i would deserve it!

Just went for a ride came back and theres fucking antifreeze in my driveway again! it looks like its seeping out on the top right to the left of the bolt (doesnt look like the bolt). what should these pump bolts be torqued to?

#12 ·
Bolts should be torqued to around 20 ft lbs or so. Be careful with those discs on the die grinder, especially on aluminum. It's real easy to end up with a wavy gasket surface which won't seal. A couple of the bolts also need sealer applied to the threads, the ones that go all the way into the water jacket. Sounds like ol' Murphy has moved in with you!

#13 ·
hes a fuckin prick

thanks

#14 ·
I thought I had a water pump prob on the weekend...turned out to be a gone for shit O ring on one of the steel tubes that the heater hose attaches to. In the past those pipes were threaded and once you put some teflon tape on them and tightened them in the were good for life.. Who was the geneius that decided a push in tube with an O ring held in place by a little bracket would be a better way of doing this?? MORON!!!!!

#15 ·
that o rings new i can see it, its not leakin...

i feel like a retard! its a stupid fuckin water pump! they are about as simple as puttin fuel in the truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.