Dakota Durango Forum banner

Should I replace the infinity speakers?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  SteedstER 
#1 ·
When i bought my car used, both mid speakers in the door were blow, and sounded terrible. I replaced them with two aftermarket infinity speakers, and it sounds great! i was looking to replace my tweeters with aftermarket ones, but do you think there will even be a difference? I was also looking to replace the speakers in the rear behind the seats. do you think they will sound any better, because i want to keep my stock head unit.

#3 ·
kool, i will look into replacing them. What about the rear speakers? are they worth replacing? will replacing the rear speakers make it so i can listen to songs with more base, with it it sounding bad? or is that the speakers on the door?

#4 ·
Ive never been too impressed with the Infinity setup in my Dak. Doesnt sound good to me. My buddys Silverado's speakers sounds tons better, and no they arent the Bose speakers. I am going to eventually change all my speakers. Let us know.

#5 ·
i went to circuit city and there telling me that i am probably not going to be able to purchase just the tweeters. they say i am going to need tweeters, and the like mid speakers, as well as a little device that sends no base to the tweeters. is this truee, or can i just get the tweeters?

#6 ·
You should be able to buy the tweeters seperately. Since you have solo tweeters your system has a crossover setup already. But the device which sends different freq to speakers is called a crossover. Not trying to talk to you like you are stoopid, but thought you would like to know.

#7 ·
Does it really! i went to circuit city and best buy, and thoose idiots who thought they knew it all said that i need that cross over thingy. thats so cool that i can replace just the tweeters

#9 ·
aad4321 said:
Does it really! i went to circuit city and best buy, and thoose idiots who thought they knew it all said that i need that cross over thingy. thats so cool that i can replace just the tweeters
Well most of those people are dumb, and they don't even make commision. I know some of them say stuff to make $$. But they obviously do not realize that vehicles that come stock with Stand-alone tweeters have crossovers, otherwise there would be no point.

#10 ·
speaker replacement..

i just replaced my front speaker component set from factory infinity's to new infinity's and they sound awesome! i also put a pair of 2 ways in the rear doors to help. the only bad thing is, my stereo is a 50x4 watt and i dont think its enough power to run everything. im eventually going to put in a small amp to help drive everything. but, the replacement went pretty quick on all speakers and was fairly easy to do.

just thought i would drop an fyi to you. :beer:

#11 ·
WentInsane said:
Well most of those people are dumb, and they don't even make commision. I know some of them say stuff to make $$. But they obviously do not realize that vehicles that come stock with Stand-alone tweeters have crossovers, otherwise there would be no point.
Usually, the factory "crossover" consists of a capacitor.
This results in a -6dB per octave rolloff.
The Infinity Kappa 6.1's for example use a combination of a capacitor and an inductor which creates a -12 dB per octave rolloff. What this all means is that the second order filter created by the cap/coil combination will allow less sound below the cutoff frequency to be played through the speaker in question. ie, less bass played by your tweeter = less distortion from your tweeter.

And, no you don't have to buy their crossover to achieve this. You can buy your own cap and coil, but then you have to tune it. The pre-made crossovers are pretty close to where they should be. The Infinity Kappa's even have a way to control the output level of the tweeters so that they aren't overwhelming since they usually have a higher sensitivity.

Aftermarket tweeters are much, much better than stock. Stock are usually paper and aftermarket can be had in many different materials from a fabric, to a ceramic, to titanium and diamond. The harder the material, the crisper the sound.

#12 ·
Do Infinity speakers come stock on the Dak? I got a 2000 and my dad says it has infinities in it.

#13 ·
sax_n_bass said:
Do Infinity speakers come stock on the Dak? I got a 2000 and my dad says it has infinities in it.
does it have seperate tweeters on the front doors? if it does they probably even say infinity on them.

if no tweeters on doors then no infinity

#14 ·
It may say Infinity, but they still suck. They have paper cones in both the mids and tweeters. I guess they are better than regular old stock cheapies though. At least they have an amp.

#15 ·
yeah they do suck. i guess infinity didn't put too much effort into them since they would be factory speakers (or Chrysler wouldn't allow them to because it would cost them too much).
Its also why the infinity amp is the only thing left from my factory sound system, and its a good little amp for stock.

#17 ·
I have Infinity's all the way around my truck including Infinity amp pushing them, 4- channel, as for not being able to tell if you can hear your rear's OHH i could tell a HUGE difference without them! the positioning of the rear speakers are right behind me so i can hear them clear as day!

i say go for it, Infinity have been able to take everything i push at them and keep on truck-in! :biggthump

if you cant hear your rear speaker's its time to step up your amp :mullet:

#19 ·
cheapies

Crutchfield is a good place to get reviews and buy audio components. I read where the average factory speaker costs less than one dollar to produce!! The factory Infinity's definately suck. I upgraded my front mids to Infinity 2-ways. Big difference!! I upgraded my rears to 3-way Polks. And I CAN hear them. Not as nice as the Infinity's but they still have a poly cone. The factory head/amp is okay I guess. I'm replacing mine as soon as I find the one I want. :mullet:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.