Dakota Durango Forum banner

Rear End Swap! ;)

8K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mthandt 
#1 ·
After 215,000 miles I figured it was time to do something with the 8.25 rear end on my 98, So I swapped it out with a 9.25!

The $150 Junk Yard score! Made me appreciate the effectiveness of cutting torches ;)

Terry from Performance Coatings Did a hell of a good job on the powder coating. He went the extra mile and did this jerkin-worthy job in a deep gloss black. :)

The new rear end, rebuilt with a Motive master overhaul kit, and the SSBC rear disc conversion kit. Turned out better than I thought..

Bed off and old axle out

See less See more
#3 ·
Sweet swap...anything useable in that bucket? :jester:

#6 ·
looks like crap!!! bad choice on rear... please return all parts to my drive-way lol :jester: j/k man looks great man how did the brake conversion go for you>?

#12 ·
Sorry man, the old parts are at the recyclers already... I got $40 for the 400lbs of scrap metal that was in the recycle bin! :)

The conversion is easy if your having a rear end rebuilt... I just handed the caliper brackets along with the other rear end parts. If your doing it on a complete axle, you need to pull the axle shafts in order to get the brackets on.

Other than that it's just hooking it all up, making a change to the proportioning valve, and bleeding the system. Not hard at all ;)

#7 ·
I didn't know there was an aftermarket swap kit for these axles. what are the details?

guess I could tool on over to SSBC to find out.

I love the axle in the bedroom picture!

I need toget off my arse and get the R/T axle that I have overhauled and under the truck. soon...very soon...

#17 ·
Hello Gary,
How is your SSBC rear brake conversion working? I'm getting ready to install the same kit on one of my R/T's.

If I'm reading the instructions correctly it sounds like the calipers should be mounted above and behind the axle, but your photos show them mounted above and ahead of the axle. How did you mount the emergency brake cable brackets? My instructions say to mount them to the top front bolts (emphasis on plural) but the two mounting holes on the bracket don't line with the 2 top front bolts?

Do you have any photos of the emergency brake cable brackets installed?

Thanks,
Nolan

#18 ·
mthandt did a rear end swap during thanksgiving. i was over his house while him and 01dakotaqc did it. i saw the shit they went thru and i give anyone props for doing that

#19 ·
It wasn't to bad Chris except for the rear drum brakes those were more than half of all time that went into it. Man were those thing a PITA. But you were there, it just looked bad:funny:. My mom and my Gf almost shit themselves when they saw what I was doing.:jester::mullet:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.