Dakota Durango Forum banner

Transmission Rebuild

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  driddick 
#1 ·
So, I'm thinking of rebuilding my transmission....
It's a 46re, would like to beef it up a little so I can do some towing with it.
But what I'm wondering is, about how much will this cost? And what entails in beefing the tranny up?

#4 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for replying. Well, its an Awd/4wd model 5.9L, with 3.55 gears. It's never done any towing, no hitch. Only off roading would be very minor, just take a ride through some mild terrain, no racing. It's a daily driver, I would however like to do some towing with it. Thinkin' bout gettin a camper, and maybe take my tractor to some pulls....but I guess we'll see.
Thanks....

#6 ·
something like what trans you have may run like 3500-4000. my 44re cost me 2500....and thats only because i know the guy so well, and have had several other transmissions done by him too.

id look into a higher stall than stock....something around 2200-2400...depning on your mods and all....if your looking to do alot of mods in the near future with the engine and stuff, id opt for a slightly higher stall. then, you at least have the converter covered.

#8 ·
If you can build an engine, you can build a transmission. Just keep everything organized and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. There are some special tools you'll need to buy/borrow/fabricate. If you don't have a parts washer, take your trans case to a machine shop or something and have them clean it for you once you have broken it down.

#10 ·
Trans back in.. Hooking up lines and bolts. Should be able to test soon missing the pipe threat that connects to the trans case and the cooler line connects to... Also need another screw for the neutral safety switch to secure to the case

Anyone have this small stuff.. The male to male connector for the cooler line or the screw to mount the neutral safety switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.