Dakota Durango Forum banner

Shift Indicator Lags

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  caulk04 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've got a '98 Durango w/ 5.9L that's starting to exhibit some transmission headaches. A problem that I've had for awhile now, is that when I shift into D, N, R, etc., the red indicator is slow to actually move across to the right selection, leading to sometimes actually ending up in the wrong gear/drive selection. I'm pretty used to it, so it doesn't bother me too much, but when my wife or someone else gets in they have issues. The indicator also never reaches the right selection even when it catches up, the truck will be show being in Neutral when it's actually in Drive and on down the line.

I bought this truck from my Dad, and if I recall, he had this issue crop up 7-8 years ago, and the dealership took care of it during one of its maintenance visits. Since I do all my maintenance myself, I need to figure out what they did. Some sort of shift linkage adjustment?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

#5 ·
That adjuster is a 2000 only I believe or pre-00. It is below the dash bezel, a little white plastic wheel that turns. You have to remove the panel above your right knee to see it if you have it.

#7 ·
It was used on all pre-00 trucks and on 00 trucks with the 3.9 and 5.9. ALL of the 01+ used the electronic gear display.

As mentioned, there is an adjuster, but it sounds like your cable is gummed up as well. If it doesn't respond immediately to movement of the shifter, something is dragging. May be something loose, may be a sticky cable. I'd see about getting a little PB Blaster or other light penetrating oil down the cable sleeve on both ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.