Dakota Durango Forum banner

2007 Towing Capacity

13K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Fred1975 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 07 Durango with the 4.7 V8 in it. What is the Towing capacity on this rig? I have a Ram 2500 CTD as my Tow Hog but want to know if something happens I can use the Durango to tow my Jeep Cherokee.

#2 ·
Need to know the rear end ratio first, but I am can probably guess it is around 7500-7700. You want to tow the full 8950lb. rating, you should have gotten the 5.7L HEMI and 3.92:1 rear end ratio.:sorry:

#3 ·
No factory tow package if that helps

the most I would tow with it will be a jeep cherokee (4000ish) on a 24ft trailer (2000ish) so MAYBE 6000 + or - and that would be only in an emergency situation. I have a weight distro hitch on the trailer and a sway bar and brakes on both axles so I think it would be good to go.

#5 ·
I also have a Durango with a 4.7 V8 and no towing package. I saw that there is a tall trans cooler in front of the radiator. I need to equip this vehicle to tow my travel trailer which has a empty weight of 4800 and gvw of 7000. I have weight distribution bars and a sway control device. I am going to purchase a hitch reciever and a mopar wiring harness so I can install my prodigy brake controller. I was also going to install AirLift 1000 airbags in the rear coils. I am thinking about adding a trans temp guage and maybe a second transcooler with an electric fan. These V8 Durangos have the same basic drivetrain as a Ram 1500 so I think it will be fine. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
With the WD Hitch I don't think you'll need airbags. I just relized this is from Feb so you probably got it done already. A second Trans cooler and temp guage can only help. The prodigy is a great controller, I have 2 one for my Truck and one for my Durango. I recently pulled a 6x12 box trailer 350 miles with about 4500-5000 lbs including the trailer, 3800 without the trailer, I also had 3 adults and 2 children as well as 4 days worth of clothes and the sort inside, combined weight was almost 11,000 with the Durango and trailer both loaded. It did pretty good. I noticed a little sway but that was due to poorly loaded trailer.

#7 ·
I haven't installed any mods yet. I am torn between selling it and getting a bigger 4x4 tow vehicle or keeping it and modifying it. I am a little upside down as far as what I owe on it, but would like to get a 4x4. The wife and I want to camp On the outer banks of NC more often. I would need a 4x4 to get onto the beach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.