Dakota Durango Forum banner

Brake caliper bolt fell out while driving..

26K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  InTeNsE98RT 
#1 ·
2nd Saturday of this month I was going to Cars n Coffee and 5 mins into my drive I heard something bounce up under the truck. As far as I could see I didnt run anything over and nothing changed with the truck while driving. From that point on I did noticed the truck was a tad harder to back up, felt like something was dragging..well the pass side caliper finally locked up on me this weekend. Took the wheel off yesterday to discover the top caliper bolt was missing. I think I should be able to just replace it with a Grade 8 bolt. (was actually going to replace all 4)

#4 ·
I wouldnt use red on a caliper bolt.Maybe a caliper bracket,yes,but not the caliper itself.It would risk stripping the head of the bolt trying to get it out in the future.Thats why they make different strengths.My dak has torx bolts and they are easy to strip the heads out of them.Blue is just fine.Its a little risky with red.It wont ease its way out with the blue and wont be a bitch to get out with the blue either.

#5 ·
More likely to strip the threads, I hear it's a big problem on Dodges, mine has a stripped caliper bolt hole... Blue Loktite would be plenty fine. I don't wanna grab a torch every time to remove them with red loktite..

#10 ·
I assume the 96 has a similar pin as the 97+. Yes they are relatively easy to strip out or cross thread. Myself and others have doen it. You have three options. Oversize pin, heli coil or new knuckle.

Myself and others have use the oversize pins. They have larger selftapping threads that cut into the new knuckle. I have two in the passenger side. One I knew I stripped and the other fell out like yours. I have has them in for almost 100k so there is no issue with removing and reusing them. I have had the brakes apart many times since. One I got from NAPA and the other came from Pep Boys.

The second choice it heli coil. There is a TSB on this so it happens enough. You can get the dodge kit or get the same size heli coil from a store.

Front Caliper Mounting/Steering Knuckle - Thread Repair
NUMBER: 05-03-99
GROUP: Brakes
EFFECTIVE DATE: Apr. 23, 1999
SUBJECT:
Front Brake Caliper Mounting To Steering Knuckle Thread Repair
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repair of the threads on the steering knuckle or brake caliper mounting adapter that are used to install and retain the front brake caliper housing in its correct operating location.
MODELS:
1986 - 1999 (AN) Dakota
1998 - 1999 (DN) Durango
DISCUSSION:
A Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit has been developed to repair stripped threads on the front brake caliper mounting attachment making it no longer necessary to replace the front steering knuckle/brake caliper mounting adapter when encountering stripped threads. The following information provides the repair procedure for using the Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Place the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
2. Remove the front tire/wheel assembly.
3. Remove the brake caliper housing assembly by loosening the mounting bolts.
NOTE: IF HIGH TORQUE IS ENCOUNTERED DURING THE MOUNTING BOLT REMOVAL, IT IS LIKELY THAT THREAD DAMAGE WILL OCCUR OR HAS OCCURRED.
4. Remove the caliper housing assembly and hang the housing on the frame of the vehicle using an appropriate wire hanger.
NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE CALIPER HOUSING TO HANG BY ITSELF FROM THE BRAKE HOSE AS DAMAGE TO THE HOSE MAY RESULT.
5. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, remove the adapter. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, remove retainers on the wheel studs and remove the rotor.
6. Inspect the mounting bolts and knuckle threads for damage. If either is damaged, it's likely that damage to the other has occurred as well. If damage has occurred to the threads in the form of knicks, thread pulling, or cross-threading, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016156AA Insert, Heli-Coil, M9 X 1.25
AR (1) 04886075AA Bolts, Caliper Housing Mounting
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016155AA Kit, Brake Knuckle Thread Repair
Includes:
23/64 Drill Bit
M9 X 1.25 Tap
Heli-Coil Installation Tool
Heli-Coil Tang Break-Off Rod
(25) M9 X 1.25 Stainless Steel Heli-Coils
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the 23/64 in. drill, drill through the brake caliper mounting attachment hole keeping the drill perpendicular to the knuckle.
2. Using the M9 X 1.25 tap, tap the drilled hole ensuring to tap the hole entirely through.
3. Install a Heli-Coil insert onto the installation tool (tool number 3747-9). Be sure the tang is properly engaged into the driving contour of the tool.
4. Install the Heli-Coil into the drilled/tapped hole by rotating the tool and exerting slight pressure onto the tool/Heli-Coil and into the drilled/tapped hole. Continue to rotate the tool until the insert is located 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the steering knuckle surface.
5. Back the Heli-Coil installation tool out of the installed Heli-Coil. Then, remove the tang from the Heli-Coil by breaking the tang off using the tang break-off tool. Place the break-off tool into the assembled insert until it rests on the Heli-Coil tang. Holding the tool squarely, strike the tool sharply with a hammer.
6. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, install the adapter. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for information regarding proper brake caliper adapter mounting information. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, install the rotor.
7. Install the caliper using new mounting bolts p/n 04886075AA in any location that had a Heli-Coil installed. Tighten the bolts to 30 - 35 N.m (22-26 ft. lbs.).
8. Install the tire/wheel assembly.
9. Lower the vehicle.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
05-80-20-93 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Left Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-94 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Right Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-50 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread
Repair, Each Additional Same Side 0.1 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: XX - Service Adjustment

#12 ·
I just put new rotors and pads on my '01, the previous owner (honest, it WASN'T me :D ) must have stripped the lower pin on the passenger side--it was difficult to remove, but going in it wont tighten up. Do you know the part or item number to ask the guy from NAPA for these self tapping replacement pins? sounds alot easier than drilling out the hole and istalling helicoils.

Myself and others have use the oversize pins. They have larger selftapping threads that cut into the new knuckle. I have two in the passenger side. One I knew I stripped and the other fell out like yours. I have has them in for almost 100k so there is no issue with removing and reusing them. I have had the brakes apart many times since. One I got from NAPA and the other came from Pep Boys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.