Dakota Durango Forum banner

Drive shaft loop With pictures

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Y2KOTA 
#1 ·
I bought a summit universal drive shaft loop kit (part # SUM-G7900)

After some modifying here is what I came up with.

Drive Shaft Loop 1
Drive Shaft Loop 2
Drive Shaft Loop 3
Drive Shaft Loop 4

The inside diameter (width) of the loop was 5.25". this left a clearence issue on my R/T. We used a vise to press on each half and then heated and bent the sides back to that they 2 halves would line (bolt) back together.
The new ID was 6.5"

you will need to cut the rest of the pieces as follows:
off each of the other parts, cut a 4 hole piece off (used to bolt the 2 halves of the loop together) qty 2 pieces
cut 2 8" pieces off of the other side, this leaves the 90* bend as scrap.

you will also need an additional 4" piece

weld 1 8" piece and the 4" piece together in a 90* flat, goes on driver side.

the other 8" piece needs to be bent, 2" then 1.5" then 4" (the other 1/2" is in the bends)

these get welded to the sides of the top half of the loop.

the single bent 8" piece goes 1" above the split of the loop

the 8" + 4" goes 2.25" above the split.

only other pieces that you need are some spaces so put on the seat belt bolts, and 2 nuts to bolt the loop to the seat belt bolts

Notes: you should take measurements of your to get exact specs as this design might not fit every truck. Also, the exhaust heat shield had to be cut to reveal the passenger bolt.

See less See more
#2 ·
For $20 it's pretty cool, but completely useless. Those things are meant to prevent the driveshaft from flying off or coming up through the floor if it fails. Your truck doesn't put out nearly enough HP to even worry about a failing driveshaft, let alone one flying off and hurting somebody. It's just gonna get in your way if you ever have to pull the driveshaft. But it's your truck, it does look pretty cool! and for $20 :biggthump

#3 ·
Well even though it's a low chance that you will break it off, it certainly does have its advantages. First you must look at safety for you and others, and that it helps with. The more likley think I think it would do is screw up either the rear end or the tranny on whichever end it is still conected to (or both... eeek) if the driveshaft does break and (would have been) flying around. Either way that is now something you don't have to worry about! Looks very good, and of good quality also :biggthump

#4 ·
AmberFireDaK said:
For $20 it's pretty cool, but completely useless. Those things are meant to prevent the driveshaft from flying off or coming up through the floor if it fails. Your truck doesn't put out nearly enough HP to even worry about a failing driveshaft, let alone one flying off and hurting somebody. It's just gonna get in your way if you ever have to pull the driveshaft. But it's your truck, it does look pretty cool! and for $20 :biggthump
it's mostly to prevent the truck from pole vaulting if the front U joint of the driveshaft fails. and yes his truck will need it as dictated by NHRA rules if he's running slicks or running faster than 13.49. some tracks enforce this diligently but others barely. his truck has already runs mid 13s on nitrous and he's swapping out for a blower so yes he will need it to race.

#7 ·
scat_pack_dal said:
it's mostly to prevent the truck from pole vaulting if the front U joint of the driveshaft fails. and yes his truck will need it as dictated by NHRA rules if he's running slicks or running faster than 13.49. some tracks enforce this diligently but others barely. his truck has already runs mid 13s on nitrous and he's swapping out for a blower so yes he will need it to race.
Ok, nm then.....I didn't realize about the NHRA rules or that he was running mid 13's. But there is no way the truck is gonna "pole vault"....even if he had a front U joint..which he doesn't (unless it's been changed from stock)

#8 ·
No company produces one of those for our trucks already. I though i had seen one somewhere??????

AmberFireDaK said:
Ok, nm then.....I didn't realize about the NHRA rules or that he was running mid 13's. But there is no way the truck is gonna "pole vault"....even if he had a front U joint..which he doesn't (unless it's been changed from stock)

How do you figure he doesn't have a front u-joint?

#9 ·
AmberFireDaK said:
look around alittle before you talk. its a worth while mod. this is what happended to my 04 with very low miles after abotu 6-8 months:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14947&highlight=droped+driveshaft

#10 ·
Nice photos. I've had a driveshaft loop for awhile now, but have yet to install it. None of the tracks I go to have required me to have it and I run faster than 13.49, but then again, they aren't NHRA tracks (I am running drag radials). I recently acquired a fire jacket because of the new NHRA rule regarding non-OEM forced induction vehicles so that I could run at this one local NHRA track...I guess I should get the driveshaft loop on, too then. I never realized there was a rule relative to the ET for the driveshaft loop, I just knew of the tires requirement.

#14 ·
Myth Busters did a show about pole-volting when driveshafts drop, the only way it will do that is if the driveshaft falls in correct time sequce and perfect angle into a hole when it breaks, than it might pole-volt the vehicle a lil but nothing like the whole vehicle will just go flying. It will simply pop up and right back down, cause more than likely the driveshaft will break or bend rather quickly!

#15 · (Edited)
KotaStampede said:
look around alittle before you talk. its a worth while mod. this is what happended to my 04 with very low miles after abotu 6-8 months:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14947&highlight=droped+driveshaft
The drive shaft loop wouldn't have prevented that....and it doesn't look like you crashed at all when it came out. Ya that sucks that it came out after only 6 months but all it did was drag on the ground till you stopped. I guess a loop may have prevented most the the damage inflicted on your driveshaft, from it dragging on the ground.

TraMotorsports said:
How do you figure he doesn't have a front u-joint?
I just went and looked and your right....my mistake. I thought the Driveshaft hooked up direct to the tranny.

#16 ·
Ive heard of pole vaulting but whats the chances for that when the front joint fails the shaft is still spinning cause it is still connected to the rear wheels. When it hits the ground, again the front of the shaft its just gonna skip then go left or right and its then going to bind the rearend, when i say go left or right i mean angle to the rear left or right tire, when that happens it will cause the joint to bind which locks the wheels which means you are going to have to clean out your pants in a few seconds, this might not happen to everyone but it happened in my 85 ram and what a wild ride. my .02

#17 ·
AmberFireDaK said:
you never know man. parts break at the worst time, you know that.

#18 ·
AmberFireDaK said:
The drive shaft loop wouldn't have prevented that....and it doesn't look like you crashed at all when it came out. Ya that sucks that it came out after only 6 months but all it did was drag on the ground till you stopped. I guess a loop may have prevented most the the damage inflicted on your driveshaft, from it dragging on the ground.

A loop is designed for the front if the driveshaft like 6-8" behind the tranny to prevent if from falling and tearing up the gas tank, rear axle or anything else the front of the driveshaft might hit.

#20 ·
Heres a old photo of the underside of my 2000 QC, Theres a cross member near the front end of the drive shaft. Think I can mount a u bolt up over the drive shaft into this cross member and have it do the neened job? Just in case that is. I don't drag or race it.

I have a place near me that could bend one for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.