Dakota Durango Forum banner

Durango won't start

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rimfire,22 
G
#1 ·
Our 2000 Durango sometimes will not start. The motor turns over, but will not start. No sputtering or anything indicates that it is even close to starting. Let it sit for a while and it will start easily. There seems to be no pattern to this problem; totally random. Please help. :help:

G
#3 ·
2000 Durango Won't Start

The check engine light comes on frequently. I purchased a OBD II code reader and it indicates there are no faults. This should be impossible as the truck has a irregular idle and occasionally will not start. There is about 74,000 miles on the motor. I am beginning to think the PCM is failing and that it is not registering the fault codes due to a malfunction.

#4 ·
Do you still have the oem battery? that usually goes first.

G
#5 ·
Yes, we do have the original battery. I thought about this as a potential cause, but when the truck refuses to start the motor is cranking very well. Therefore, I thought that probably wasn't the problem.
One thing we found when we were testing, was that spraying starting fluid into the intake caused it to start and stay running. We came across this when we were trying to see if it was a fuel problem. I expected if it was a fuel problem, it might run for a second or two. I was surprised when it kept running; now I don't know.
Yesterday, we replaced the spark plugs. The electrodes were worn and had excessive gaps.

G
#6 ·
idle not starting problem

My wife 2k R/T with 75 is doing something similar. She says she is driving along coming too a light slowing down and it just stops. We have just replaced the battery. She said no engine lights. Going to try and get it home now..

#7 ·
Tps/cps

There are two sensors that you need to concern yourself with.
The first is the Throttle Position Sensor, or TPS.
This is located on the side of the throttle body, and can be affected by dirt, water, ect.
Take it off and clean it and the plug and see if that helps.
Maybe time for a replacement?
The CPS is the Crankshaft Position Sensor, and it is located on the upper part of the bellhousing, but not sure where.
Either of these will cause random stalling, or dead engine.
When the CPS went in one of my Jeeps, sometimes it would take 5 tries to start it, sometimes 50. Luck of the draw to get the crank in the proper position to fire.
Good luck.

#8 ·
Here's another thought - the starter is getting way too hot - causing a form of "vapor lock".

See if the starter still has the heat sheild intact - if so, you could be headed for a new one. The great thing about the starter is the core charge and I believe they can still test them (haven't replaced one in a while).

Used to happen on my BB Chevelle all the time...

#10 ·
GaryG said:
Our 2000 Durango sometimes will not start. The motor turns over, but will not start. No sputtering or anything indicates that it is even close to starting. Let it sit for a while and it will start easily. There seems to be no pattern to this problem; totally random. Please help. :help:

GaryG,

Anythigs possible even the battery. Mine was replaced in a blink of an eye while it was still under warranty! For you my guess would be a started since the engine cranks. It obviously is getting electricty from the battery.

rimfire,22

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.