Dakota Durango Forum banner

03 Durango SXT 4.7

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rpmcclafferty 
#1 ·
My Durango is acting crazy....on startup it will idle at like 2000 RPM's, and after it drops down, it will still idle erratically between 700 and 1800 RPM's. While driving, it bucks and sometimes feels like it doesnt want to shift gear. The bucking isnt all the time, but its a lot of the time. when it does it on the highway, it will sometimes cut out and die at highway speeds. The CEL isn't on all the time, but it seems to run worse when the light is off. When the light comes on, its a little better. I haven't changed the o2's yet, but was wondering if they would cause this problem. My wife drives it most of the time with my kids in it, so I need this problem to go away....any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

#4 ·
Not sure of the codes yet, i bought a code reader today. The CEL is on sometimes, then it goes off, and thats when the truck is running real bad, once the CEL is off. Then it will stall a few times on the highway and it has to sit for a minute before it can be restarted, most of the time the CEL comes on after i restart it and it will run a little better, but you can still tell something is wrong.

#7 ·
The first thing I would do is clean the battery terminals. Dodges do wierd things with low or high voltage. Then, I would clean the inside of the throttle body. Check the codes, write them down, then clear the codes and drive it and see if any come back, before spending money on any sensors.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, so after a quick search on the forum, and through Google. 121 is the TPS, and 068 is MAF reading not consistent with TPS......whatever that means. maybe i'll replace the TPS again, and if that doesnt help, i'll look for the MAF, does this truck have a MAF? My 95 Thunderbird has a MAF Sensor near the air box, what is the sensor on this truck that is inside the airbox?

#10 ·
Our trucks use a MAP, not MAF. It's on the front of the intake manifold

#12 ·
So for 6 months I have have changed almost everything I can possibly think of, cleaned the hell out of the throttle body, changed fluids, added additives and I can not figure out why my truck is acting so flaky. Its not as bad as it was, but the truck stalls or comes near to stalling every time I come to a stop, then stutters when I pull out, after that it runs fine....if it doesn't stall it will idle irratically and sputter, but I give it some gas and its fine...can anyone offer any insight on this problem? Its driving me nuts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.