Dakota Durango Forum banner

dakota overhead wiring diagram

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Anthony 
#1 ·
I am in the process of trying to hook up a 99 overhead console in my 2000 dakota and was wandering if anybody has a wiring diagram for the 6 black wires that actually come of the computer. I am going to build my own harness since I can't locate one in the junkyard. I just need to know what colored wires go where on the connector. thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
you have to figure out which ones they are by looking at the pin locations on the black plug. I can tell you what they go to by pin locations on that plug.
The colors might not help that much because if its one of the 6 black wires the color might correspond to the vehicle side of the plug. So go off the other colors that are there to tell you what pins are what

When looking at the plug with the pins facing you it goes

6 5 4 3 2 1
12 11 10 9 8 7

you will know because number 5 is pink and 12 is yellow. So orient the plug off the locations of those two wires.

Pins:

1 - dark blue/white goes to a fused ignition source
2 - violet/brown goes to CCD BUS + wire
3 - violet/light green goes to temp sensor
4 - blank
5 - pink goes to 12 volt constant (should already be up there if you have interior lights)
6 - black goes to ground (should already be up there if you have interior lights)
7 - black/light green goes to ground
8 - white/black goes to CCD BUS - wire
9 - black/light blue goes to temp sensor
10 - blank
11 - blank
12 - yellow goes to headlamp switch (should already be up there though if you have interior lights)

#5 ·
Hey John I hate to bother you again but I ran into some problems. I hooked up every wire with the exception of the 2 temp sensors since I don't have an outside temp sensor. I am not sure if I spliced into the right wires . For the dark blue w/ white tracer the only wire I could find was in the rectangular junction block that has a bolt going through the center of it. That is also the same location that I spliced the black w/ green tracer. Is that where I am supposed to tie into. Also for the ccd bus I just spliced into the back of the diagnostic ports and everytime I turn the ignition key on the total mileage will flash and then it will read no bus. My gages will also not read and the only thing that works in the overhead console are my lights. Can you give me some insight as to what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Mike

#6 ·
i dont know exactly what you are doing wrong there. I would just ground the black/green wire to a metal grounding source on the body somewhere. I just grounded mine using the black wire for the overhead lights. And then check your bus connections. Maybe its not making a good connection somewhere. I put my bus wires on the back of the diagnostic port too.

#9 ·
John,

Great information on the overhead console wiring. I just picked up mine at the salvage yard today and found your post. I followed your instructions and it worked great! (at least on my workbench) One change however, the other ground wire on mine is blk/lt brn (from a 99 Durango). It was good to find that the compass is actually in the overhead and not outside like the temp sensor which I was able to get. I will be swapping out the locked-up 5.2 for one with 105000 next week. I found a replacement 5.2 for $350 in Brewer Maine with a warranty!:banana2: Looking forward to enjoying the Durango maybe as much as I've enjoyed my Grand Cherokee!:bye:

J WALES

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.