Dakota Durango Forum banner

Throttle Body Removal and Cleaning [How-To with Pictures]

84K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  fcastro 
#1 ·
I was looking for a comprehensive writeup before doing this and I did not see one, so I thought I would make one.

Parts list

- 8mm Socket for the Throttle Cable brackets
- 10mm Socket or necessary size for battery terminal disconnect
- 13mm Socket for the bolts that hold the Throttle body itself down.
- #25 Torx driver for the IAC, MAP, and TPS
- Adjustable wrench [in my case, for the airhat removal]
- CRC Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner [or similar cleaning product][/URL]
- Replacement gasket [good idea to have around, and about $2.50 from advanced auto or a similar place]

Procedures

1. Remove Negative Battery Connection. Tool: 10mm Socket if applicable

2. a) Locate Air Intake and Remove the Assembly.

2. b) Resulting Image.

3. a) Locate the IAC [Idle Air Control] and disconnect it

3. b) Locate the TPS [Throttle Position Sensor] and disconnect it

3. c) and Locate the MAP [Manifold Absolute Pressure] Sensor

3. d) Remove the Vacuum line as well

4. Disconnect the C-Clamps holding the throttle linkage. Note, the rear linkage goes to the Transmission [kickback] and the front two are for throttle and cruise control

4. a) From the furthest from the Throttle Body to the closest C-Clamp Connection.

4. b)

4. c)

See less See more
#2 ·
5. Remove the Throttle Bracket Tool: 8mm Socket

5. a) The one on the side of the bracket

5. a) The two on the front of the bracket

6. Remove the Throttle Body Bolts Tool: 13mm Socket

7. Remove the Throttle Body and the Gasket

8. Remove all 3 Sensors from the Throttle Body. The torx driver is used to remove all of the sensors Tool: #25 Torx Driver

9. Resulting [Dirty] Naked Throttle Body

#3 ·
10. Cleaning the Throttle Body. Tool: Intake Cleaner of choice

Read the instructions on the can of cleaner as some have VERY strong fumes and will remove paint and stain clothing. With all of the sensor removed, liberally spray the CRC cleaner onto the areas you wish to clean. The stream essentially stripped all of the carbon off of the Throttle Body. Using a tooth brush and terry cloth I was able to strip all of the carbon I wanted off. Take the IAC sensor as well and clean that up. With the carbon removed from it's plunger and the area were it sits, your idle will smooth out. These are the results I wished to achieve. I believe 100% clean is attainable. I worked for about 95% because I will probably port/polish my Throttle Body in the near future.

Let the Throttle Body dry before re-installation.

11. Re-installation:

Follow the steps in reverse order. Add the New gasket before replacing the Throttle Body. Reconnect the battery and start it up to make sure everything was done correctly.

Good luck and post up if you need assistance :)

#12 ·
Very thorough and clear write-up with pics. Good job! And I see you're from Michigan. :twothumb:

#15 ·
Wat is the best tool to use to get the TB itself off, I tried a Ratchet, and impact gun, neither worked. Also had the same problem trying to get the front bumper off.

#17 ·
the TB has never been taken off this truck I assume since it was bought as a work truck in 2000. We bought it from mine and my dads work 2 yrs ago they arnt stripped, cuz they dont move at all.

#18 ·
Pick up a can of "PB Blaster". I found it sold at AdvanceAutoparts. A bunch of people recommended it when swapping headers and it worked wonders. I couldnt budge the bolts on the stock manifolds at first, but after drowning em in that Blaster stuff and letting it sit overnight, they unscrewed with hardly any effort :banana2:

#21 ·
founds it online, says my locla canadiantire store has it. ill grab one tomorrow

#24 ·
put some PB Blaster on yesterday, was able to loosen them today, still need to go get a new gasket and TB cleaner

#25 ·
got it off today, the bottem side was caked black, and the gasket was baked onto the bottem of the TB, snapped into pieces getting it off, is nice and clean now, Thanks for the How-To helped alot.

#27 ·
Excellent...but

put the air hat support tab at the top and the threaded rod in the TB so it doesn't interfere with the incoming air flow. Use the lock nut on the TB to hold it and the short bolt with aa nut to hold it. It's the same set up I used when I installed my ported TB.

Nice post...:mullet:

#31 ·
Since u have to remove 3 different sensors will anything in the computer have to be reprogramed. I was told it would have to be reset but could of been told wrong we have a 2003 4x4 dodge dakota 4.7 motor.
Not reprogrammed. The computer will eventually learn any differences between the new and the old. You can disconnect the battery to reset the computer and it should learn a little faster though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.