Dakota Durango Forum banner

Dying at Idle

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DakWithCheese 
#1 ·
hey guys, my dad needs help bad! He has a 1994 Dodge Van B150 3.9L and its the middle of winter here. He goes to a stop sign, and it just slowly revs down, and then dies. we replaced the coolant temperature sensor already. I'm thinking Idle Air Control Valve. can anyone help??? need ideas!

I know its not a dakota, but I'm still hoping you guys can figure this out.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Sounds like an IAC problem, have 3.9's at work all the time that have the IAC shit out that way.

#3 ·
I have a 00 dak 3.9 V6... Mine doesn't die when it lowers, BUT you can tell and feel it trying to die, almost does die some times...

Would that be the IAC too(Whats an IAC?..)

#4 ·
IAC is for Idle Air Control (motor)....it's on the throttle body. Computer tells it where to be for preferred idle. Could possibly be gummed up. Try cleaning or replace. (some are not cheap) Best to hook up scanner and see what it's doing before throwing money into just changing out parts.

Bryan
:drive:

#5 ·
can also be...

a dying battery. Especially in winter as it is hard on batteries with the cold. A battery not putting out full juice to the computer will mess up fuel settings. Mine would die at stop signs unless I kept my foot on the gas and the other on brake to keep the revs up, which was keeping a charge going I deduced. It also wouldn't keep running when I first started it either unless I did the gas shuffle. lol After a new battery was dropped in the problem disappeared. At first I thought the choke was out of whack and was ready to take it to the dealer. But when the battery was dead one morning I just figured I'd replace it since it was 4 yrs old. And voila! Problem solved!

#6 ·
well, I cleaned off the IAC and problem appears to be solved......for now. I'll keep an eye on it and inform of any changes. My guess was the IAC as well. Guys, if the IAC is your problem too, do the cleanup before you think about dropping any coin into a new one. In this case, a new one would cost ~47.00. Cleaning costs whatever a can of carb/choke cleaner and rags cost.......so not much. This one was clearly gummed up (black). What causes that anyways, doesn't just air pass thru that??? Strange.

#7 ·
problem NOT solved

well, the problem recurred. Van dies again at stop signs. Runs really ruff. Cleaned the IAC and it worked for awhile. Doesn't make sense. Could it really be the battery? Gonna replace the TPS today.

#8 ·
WELL, van is still dying, and running rough even after changing the IAC with a NEW one. I'm running out of ideas. I did the new IAC instead of a new TPS, thinking it was more closely related to the problem. Any ideas anyone? The battery is running strong, shouldn't be that.

#9 ·
spray the tb down with a good cleaner. just for giggle, see if that helps. if it dont, your only out 1.29

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.