Dakota Durango Forum banner

Lower control arm removal

33K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Jasper1991 
#1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to get the rotor assy off to remove the lower control arm? I tried search, but its not workin on my phone.

#2 ·
I've removed ball joint bolts, tie rod bolt, I just can't get the thing off. I've jacked it up under the arm and beat on it, let all pressure off and beat on it... im just lost.

#5 ·
You need to beat the ball joints loose, they're pressed in there. Just taking the nuts off won't do it.

Reactions: Leroy R/T
#7 · (Edited)
Hit up from the bottom with a big hammer being careful not to damage the threads. Maybe have a buddy with a pry bar somewhere at the same time. You could actually leave the nut loose on the end so you can beat that, you can always get a new castle nut if you mess that up.

#9 ·
I wouldn't recommend hitting the threads with anything... even if you are careful you can damage the threads and then you'll be really pissed. They are not pressed in it's just a tapered shaft.... take 2 big hammers and hit both sides of the spindle where the ball joint goes into it. You may have to use a ball joint fork as well to keep pressure on it, but it will pop right out this way

#10 ·
Yea I'd just leave the nut on the end until it breaks loose so you can't hurt the threads.

#13 ·
Changing both ball joints while I'm there. Also noticed my sway bar end links were shot. Gotta replace those as well. I beat it pretty good with a rubber mallet and only managed to loosen the upper ball joint. I believe I can beat up on the upper control arm and down on the spindle and it'll come loose.

Thanks. :D

#17 ·
Beat the piss out of it. Dont hit the tapered ends even with the castle nuts on there. What is in motion tends to stay in motion which means the force you hit the nut with is the force your hitting your threads with so hitting up or down on it can make the castle nut slide or break threads. Use a fork and hit that

#18 ·
All this talk about "beating off" and nobody made a comment about the OP's avatar? :jester:

Anyways, take a 5 lbs sledge and hit the part that the ball joint goes into. Couple good hits and it should pop. I'd advise having the nut on a couple of threads on the top ball joint so that when the lower one give way the entire spindle doesn't fall to the floor. Search YouTube. There are a ton of video's about removing ball joints.

#19 ·
alright.. sweet. Got the spindle loose from the upper ball joint. The lower one is a little more of a challenge. But since I'm taking the whole lower control arm off I might as well leave it on. Which brings me to my next question... What size is the star bolt on the forward control arm bolt? Anybody know off the top of their head? If not, I'm about to go to HD and get a set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.