Dakota Durango Forum banner

Front Brakes Locked Up

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DustyAmerican 
#1 ·
I've never seen this before: I just had the front rotors, pads and lines replaced on my 01 Durango (5.9/4x4/ABS) and after three days, both front brakes are locked on. Bleeding the brakes will release the pressure, but only for a short time, then everything locks up again. Fluid just isn't gettign back out of the calipers to the master cylinder. The local mechanic is scratching his head along with me. We've checked all lines for kinks, twists, etc. I'm considering replacing the calipers, but don't want to just replace parts until the whole brake system is new. Has anybody ever seen this before? What's the fix? Thank you in advance!

#3 ·
my 02 cc kota did that but i went a pressed the caliper piston back in and it has been working fine ever since and that was like 3 weeks ago and i have been hard on the brakes and they havent locked up so its worth a shot. if that doesnt work i dont know what to tell u

#5 ·
I had my front left lock up on me...I can't have that be happening to me (as if anyone wants it to) so I just replaced the caliper and line and called it done.

Whatever you do, be sure to flush the brake lines out. You'll need at least a liter of fluid to flush the lines out, I'd go ahead and buy two and flush them real good.

BTW - You should always flush your brake fluid every two years, regardless of mileage because brake fluid is hydro scopic (absorbs water) and the boiling point gets lower over time. Not to mention it help corrode your lines.

#7 ·
All...We've tested the Proportional Valve, pulled the calipers, lines and Master Cylinder...and cleaned everything we could find then put it all back together again. After getting the monster from the black lagoon out of the Master Cylinder, things seem to be working. we even checked the booster rod and brake pedal assembly. One more test of the Proportional valve and another complete flush of the system will be the proof. I didn't think the fluid was going to be that black!

Caulk 04...you're right about putting some serious quantities of fluid into it...I'm on my third liter now with more tomorrow. I want nothing but clean and clear fluid out all four brakes before I'm done!

If this works, I'll let you know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.