Dakota Durango Forum banner

4.7l dakota stalling/hesitating

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SPC. Brinkmeyer 
#1 ·
2002 4.7l dakota 105k miles- started stalling the other day. It begins to stall at about 3000-4000 rmps under heavy acceleration, and feels like there is a rev limiter even though there isn't. The check engine light starts flashing once it starts to stall. The spark plugs have been changed. Any other ideas?

#3 ·
Check your cat and see if it is clogged. Get under there and whack it with a hammer, if it has stuff rattling around in it, it's bad. If it's really bad, at higher rpm's no air would be getting out of the engine and you could stall.

What are the codes you're throwing? Do the key trick to find out. Check this thread and it will show you how if you don't know how:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8258

#5 ·
CEL finally stayed on so I could check the codes. It gave me p 300,305,and 307 which basically means its misfiring. I have been slowly losing coolant so i suspect the head gasket may be bad and causing the hesitation some how(recently installed new water pump and thermostat and there are no coolant leaks, no white smoke from exhaust, and oil is clean). I'm having a mechanic i know check it out next week and I will update as soon as I know something.

#6 ·
heater core for loss of coolant i heard some of them leak and have a drain for it to run outside of the vehicle to keep it out of the cab of the truck do you ever notice any coolant drops in your driveway or anything or smell any burnt coolant or the smell of plain coolant in the cab

#7 ·
Just to update: The drivers side catalytic converter is bad, so that is what was causing it to hesitate. As for the loss of coolant, there was a leak in one of the hoses for the heater. Should I replace the old cat with a high flow one? If I did would it cause any problems if I left the stock cat on the passenger side? Anyone know of some good replacements for the cat?

#10 ·
Glad i was right but then again I'm not because it's not the cheapest thing to fix. I would recommend you do this vvvvvv it's the best thing price wise and performance wise.

well the stock ones are more expensive and flow like crap so i would replace them both with universal high flows. you can get them on ebay for like 40 bucks. you also need to find out why it's clogged. it means you have a problem like burning oil.

#9 ·
are you sure its realy clogged or its just the sensor saying it i got a 04 and last year it said it was bad we replaced the y pipe with cats ($500+labor) and its saying its bad again this year i think i just have a wire rubbing somewhere... but with yours actualy hesitating maby realy is bad...

#13 ·
yea i think i might have a wire rubbing somewhere and grounding out or something idk the code comes on and goes off as it wants lol idk but im either going to bust em out next time or put in a high flow prolly go with a high flow so the sensors still work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.