Dakota Durango Forum banner

4.7L owners... 5w-30 or 10w-30?

97K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Primus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just changed my oil (M1 with Wix) and was wondering if you guys stay with the suggested 5w-30 during the summer or if you change over to 10w-30. The manual says that for best fuel economy use 5w-30. I live in Dallas so it never gets much below about 20F in the winter and in summer it's hot as f**k.

Anyone.. anyone... Bueller. Bueller.

#2 ·
i have been puttin 10w30 in it since i had my truck and shes bout to hit 170,000

#3 ·
I've always used 10w30 without issue and my latest MPG was 18.7 so I dont think I'm taking a hit in the MPG dept.

Rick

#5 ·
i run 5w30 mobil1 and mopar filter year round 90-100f summer and 20-30f winter no probs :biggthump

#6 ·
Im in Hell and I run 5w-30. seems to run fine. With the tight tolerances of new motors, I think its best. :wave:

#7 ·
Mobil 1 5w30 with Purolator Pureone filter. usually 20-22 mpg

#8 ·
5w30 mobil one

#11 · (Edited)
5w-30 vs 10w-30 Viscosity Thread - Amsoil Forum FAQ BLOG - Steven Roark Amsoil Dealer

I just changed my oil (M1 with Wix) and was wondering if you guys stay with the suggested 5w-30 during the summer of if you change over to 10w-30. The manual says that for best fuel economy use 5w-30. I live in Dallas so it never gets much below about 20F in the winter and in summer it's hot as f**k. Anyone.. anyone... Bueller.. Bueller..
You can use the 5w-30 year round (I do) - as the "5w-" and the "10w-" are both 30 wt. oils at running temperature. Here is a VISCOSITY INFORMATION THREAD that I created on this website. For more information you can click this LINK.

#12 ·
Amsoil SAE 5w-30 and 10w-30 is only $5.25 quart (when ordering a case) + shipping

Amsoil is much lower priced than you might think ...

Amsoil SYNTHETIC SAE 5w-30 is only $5.55 per quart

$5.55 is the Amsoil Preferred Customer Price (wholesale), and since I am paying
for the Amsoil Preferred Customer Memberships (see below) - that is your actual cost.

Even cheaper by the case. The price drops to $5.25 per quart.

The same oil, Amsoil SAE 5w-30, is $7.05 Suggested Retail .

DON'T PAY RETAIL ! ... Buy WHOLESALE !!!

Here is the thread where I offer to pay for the FREE Amsoil Preferred Customer Memberships:

FREE AMSOIL PREFERRED CUSTOMER MEMBERSHIP OFFER (like joining a COSTCO) and WHOLESALE PRICES

#13 ·
Reacher said:
I just changed my oil (M1 with Wix) and was wondering if you guys stay with the suggested 5w-30 during the summer of if you change over to 10w-30. The manual says that for best fuel economy use 5w-30. I live in Dallas so it never gets much below about 20F in the winter and in summer it's hot as f**k.

Anyone.. anyone... Bueller.. Bueller..

Reacher,

I just use 5W-30 recommended in the manual. Of course I use a synthetic oil.

rimfire,22

#14 ·
doesnt matter what you use as when it heats up both is still a 30 weight oil. its just how well it flows in cold temerature thats all. the 5w will flow better at colder temps than a 10w oil

#16 ·
I got 75k on my truck and i've always heard not to do a swap from regaular oil to mobil 1, i know it jus cleans off problems, but i also heard it eats away at some to wat do u guys think? safe or not?

#17 ·
you should be fine if your engine looks dry on the outside. no wet spots nothing. you could try a syn blend and if that dont leak then go to a full syn. I have heard people over 100,000 miles switch from dino to syn and maybe a handfull developed a small leak.

does your engine use any oil between OCI

#18 ·
no none at all

#19 ·
then you should be fine. but in the end you never really know how an engine will act. I would say it should be fine but I will ask. are you going for longer intervals of oil changes or stick with the 3,000 mile ones. if you go with 3K then dont switch to syn. only benifit of syn is to go 7K to 15K on an OCI. depending on the oil and filters you use. so if you still stay with 3K. dino will serve you just fine.

#20 ·
RamAirKota said:
I got 75k on my truck and i've always heard not to do a swap from regaular oil to mobil 1, i know it jus cleans off problems, but i also heard it eats away at some to wat do u guys think? safe or not?
There should be no problem running full syn. I would personally use amsoil over mobil1 for full syn. But that is your choice. Until now I ran Castrol Syntec blend in my truck from 69k (when I bought it) til just recently. You have low enough miles to where you really have nothing to worry about going to full syn. That is my 2 cents.

#21 ·
Would this be the same for the 5.9 cause my buddy works for BMW and can get me casteroil syntec 5w30 for 20 bucks a case, but i need to contact the owner to find out what it had in it initially but i know its always had synthetic, also what about synthetic blends are these bad to go to after running entire like on synthetics?

#22 ·
jmaack727 said:
Would this be the same for the 5.9 cause my buddy works for BMW and can get me casteroil syntec 5w30 for 20 bucks a case, but i need to contact the owner to find out what it had in it initially but i know its always had synthetic, also what about synthetic blends are these bad to go to after running entire like on synthetics?
Not a smart thing to do, swapping from full syn to anything else.

#24 ·
you can switch back and forth from syn to dino back to syn then to syn blend. it wont mess up nothing. I have done it in my truck plenty of times. who ever tells you other wise just dont know what they talking about. juat as long as yo uhave no leaks. you can pour anyhitng you want in there. hell some peopel mix different brands in to their oil and different weights also.

#25 ·
Now I use either Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 or Supertech Synthetic 5w-30. I also have some Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 for the summer. I always use Amsoil SDF-15 oil filters. I bought a bunch of them before the new Eao filters came out.

#26 ·
105k on the Durango, and I've always used dino 5w30... I live in the blazing hellpit that is Birmingham Alabama... maybe I'll switch to full synthetic next time I change.

13mpg no matter what I do :(

jmaack727 said:
Hey, I live in the Ham too. Any chance you want to hook a local brother up with some of that $20/case Castrol? :)