Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Parts Inquiries (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Where to get custom serpentine belts? (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226289)

Rezz 08-19-2013 09:44 PM

Where to get custom serpentine belts?

When I finish building the V10, all the belt will run is the alternator. I'm going to run a radiator mounted electric water pump, and electric a/c housed in the bed, as well as electric power steering (haven't entirely decided on this one yet). But regardless, I am wondering do I have to fabricate brackets that will put everything far enough apart to run a belt that is out there or does someone make custom belts? And can you tell how many rpm's a belt can handle?

9t9-5.2 08-19-2013 11:06 PM

There are hundreds of serpentine belts out there, mock up your setup, measure the length you would need, then start the search. The belt length is in the part number, different manufactures list them slightly different in the part #, as an example these part numbers are are for the same application; 805k6, K060806, 5060805

How many rpm do you plan to run?
A serpentine belt is more stable than a v belt at high rpm's.

TazRango 08-19-2013 11:41 PM

Gates serpentine belts are numbered as follows

K = Automotive
06 = 6 ribs
0708 = length of belt in tenths of an inch (70.8")

The "805k6" example is similar, just in a different order.. That number indicates a 80.5" long, 6 rib automotive belt.

So simply take a piece of string or wire and wrap it around all the pulleys (make sure you retract the idler halfway) and measure it. Then count the ribs and you have your part number. The idler will compensate for about a half inch of length either way, so if you can't get the exact measurement, go to the next number smaller.

Rezz 08-21-2013 05:23 PM

Thanks. I suppose I got an answer. Didn't know if I should aim for a length out there or if someone made them, but if need be I suppose I could always fabricate an alternator bracket that would give me a proper spacing. Are erpentine belts only rated for so many rpm's though? If so, what do guys that run 7000+ rpm use?

TazRango 08-21-2013 08:20 PM

I don't understand why you think you need a custom made belt.. All you have to do is bring the measurement to any parts store.

As far as the RPM rating, standard 6 rib belts can generally take up to about 7500 in small doses. If you will be consistently going over that and find the belt slipping or being tossed, you would have to change out the pulleys and go to a 8 or 10 rib. They are wider and have more contact patch.

Rezz 08-21-2013 08:28 PM

I no longer think I do, I just mistaken thought I might because I overlooked the simple solution of another belt fitting my application.

Blue93Dakota 08-22-2013 03:04 AM

Magnums use 7 rib belts, but 6 rib belts have a lot more choices. You can also adjust pulley size for the accessories or the idler or tensioner to get to a standard size as well.

91dak239 08-22-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue93Dakota (Post 3410865)
Magnums use 7 rib belts, but 6 rib belts have a lot more choices. You can also adjust pulley size for the accessories or the idler or tensioner to get to a standard size as well.

Seconded, get a belt that is just a hair too long and then get larger idler pulleys.