Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gen III Dakotas (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   v6 to v8 engine swap and then some (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152937)

99v6Dakota 01-23-2012 02:22 AM

v6 to v8 engine swap and then some

I have a 3.9 I really want to swap in an r/t motor, hell it will give me the space and shit to clean out the dirty insides of the front end too, how should I go about it and is it logical? i plan on having my kota for time to come...

MikeRWK 01-23-2012 04:28 AM

You'll need to swap out the dash harness, which involves removing the dash. Im doing a cab swap on my truck and im in the middle of swapping my v8 harness over to the v6 cab i have.You'll also need to swap clusters and probly transmissions since if the v6 will even boltup to a 5.9 it sure as hell wont last long behind it.

noitsnotahemi 01-23-2012 01:08 PM

I just did this swap about two weeks ago it took me about 36 hours and it was very worth it I didn't
Not have to do anything with the dash wiring though I just put the motor in and hooked everything up it used the same motor mounts radiator and every thing I even used my v6 harness I just spliced in the two injectors which was very simple my truck is also a 99 but I have the manual I even used that It bolted right up u bought a new clutch and flywheel though u will notice the power difference and if ur nice to it mileage isn't much different from the v6

AmberFireDaK 01-23-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeRWK (Post 2897137)
You'll need to swap out the dash harness, which involves removing the dash. Im doing a cab swap on my truck and im in the middle of swapping my v8 harness over to the v6 cab i have.You'll also need to swap clusters and probly transmissions since if the v6 will even boltup to a 5.9 it sure as hell wont last long behind it.

You don't have to swap any of that

The clusters are the same, the interior harness is the same, the engine harness is the same except for 4 wires for the extra 2 injectors. The transmission will bolt up just fine and it may or may not hold up

All you need is the engine, and a PCM from a 5.2 or 5.9 truck the same year as yours, with the same options as yours (ie 2wd/4wd, auto/stick, security/non security)

If you can do a tiny bit of wiring you can easily add the extra wires and everything else will hook up fine. The 3.9 is exactly the same as a 5.2 with 2 cylinders missing... and the 5.9 is externally exactly the same as the 5.2. Same heads, same intake, same accessories.....

MikeRWK 01-23-2012 11:35 PM

My bad :D wish it was that easy with mine, but its not so hard either.

99v6Dakota 01-24-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberFireDaK (Post 2897457)
You don't have to swap any of that

The clusters are the same, the interior harness is the same, the engine harness is the same except for 4 wires for the extra 2 injectors. The transmission will bolt up just fine and it may or may not hold up

All you need is the engine, and a PCM from a 5.2 or 5.9 truck the same year as yours, with the same options as yours (ie 2wd/4wd, auto/stick, security/non security)

If you can do a tiny bit of wiring you can easily add the extra wires and everything else will hook up fine. The 3.9 is exactly the same as a 5.2 with 2 cylinders missing... and the 5.9 is externally exactly the same as the 5.2. Same heads, same intake, same accessories.....

Well this will be fun, I planed to take every bit out and clean it to make the inside look as good as the out. I'll be getting some pictures up soon, gotta find the camera, wiring it will be no problem. Just to find a V8, could I make mine into a stick? Currently an automatic, id rather have a stick....