Dakota Durango Forum banner

'99 Durango- Cranks but wont start

29K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Rope Burn 
#1 · (Edited)
'99 Durango-Wont start- UPDATE!

Cleaned the battery terminals and flushed the radiator today.

Had it started a few times after the work was done.

I can hear the fuel pump kick in, and pulled a plug wire and there is spark.

Its just cranks and cranks.

Will the crank sensor or cam sensor still allow fuel and spark if either is bad?

Thanks-

Jeff

#3 ·
are you still running OEM battery? If so change it. it's done.
If it's a new battery
will it crank if you hold the gas down? If so it's your IAC sensor. it sits on the back of your throttle body. 2 torx screws.

#4 ·
Battery is good. Even pulled one from one of my other cars.

I cant get a crank sensor till Tuesday.

My FSM says to test crank sensor with the DRB. So thats out.

That bugger looks like its in a fun spot too.

I hate to start tossing parts at it.

#5 ·
Replaced the crank sensor and the cam position sensor under the distributer cap.

No luck.

The fuel pump is coming on.

Pulled a plug wire and checked for spark with spare plug. Good.

There is pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve.

I tested the injectors with a spare and they appear to be working.

Even sprayed ether into the throttle body to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks-

Jeff

#6 ·
Booda said:
Cleaned the battery terminals and flushed the radiator today.
Had it started a few times after the work was done.
I can hear the fuel pump kick in, and pulled a plug wire and there is spark.
Its just cranks and cranks.
Will the crank sensor or cam sensor still allow fuel and spark if either is bad?
Thanks-
Jeff
coil pack is bad. i had the same thing happen to mine. seems this is a major problem for the magnum motors. replace this first, see what happens. it may be an intermitten thing with the coil. pull the number 1 plug out, and have someone crank it, see if the spark comes through. if so, it aint the problem, and on goes the search. my bet elsewhere would be the crank, or the cam sensor. and i hope that the issue is with the crank sensor, cause the cam sensor is a pain in the ass, nevermind more costly to change.

#7 ·
guessing that you dont have a 4.7.....and i'm not too familiar with the other motors...but if it has it check the TPS sensor (throttle position sensor)...it may have gone bad or just needs to be re adjusted back within its tolerances

i know on the 4.7's that is its out of its voltage range the same will happen

#8 ·
THanks for the suggestions. I have the 5.2 engine.

I do have spark to the plugs, at least some spark it seems. The coil was my first thought.

The crank sensor cost me $75 and the cam sensor was $42.

Still no luck.

If someone lives in the West Michigan area, and would let me borrow a PCM, maybe I can rule that out also.

Jeff

#9 ·
So you said there is fuel pressure at the rails. Are the injectors opening when starting? If they arnt then thats a PCM thing i think

#10 ·
did you try starting the truck with the accelerator pressed to the floor for a moment? up till it starts, then let it go? i did this the other day and mine woke right up...later on though it went completely bad, and my coil pack was bad....

just a thought.

#11 ·
viperkota said:
guessing that you dont have a 4.7.....and i'm not too familiar with the other motors...but if it has it check the TPS sensor (throttle position sensor)...it may have gone bad or just needs to be re adjusted back within its tolerances

i know on the 4.7's that is its out of its voltage range the same will happen
4.7s were not an option for the 98 and 99s.

98 = 5.2
99 = Some V6 (I think), 5.2 and 5.9. V6s in a Durangos are useless! IMO

If your 99 is an SLT it has a security system that cuts the engine out if it activated. Try starting it up sith your foot on the gas. If it starts that means your security system is engaged.

I have found turning it on with my foot on the gas gets it started. Run it that way for a minute then turn it off. Then usse your keyless entry to lock and unlock it. Then try starting it again. It should start up. Keep foolin with the security till she runs. This happens a lot to mine when the battery gets disconnected or is loose.

#12 ·
ok, dumbest suggestion yet, but it happened to me. If you've taken the distributor out recently, check and make sure you didn't put it 180 degrees off.

I did that to mine, I had spark, I had fuel pressure, I had no warnings from the computer. Everything seemed fine, but it would jsut crank for ever.

Flipped that sucker around and sure enough it started fine.

Just remember to drain the fuel out first. Mine was flooded because it was pumping fuel. Same scenario as you, tied to start it by putting down the tb, and nothing. It was jsut the distributor.

good luck. remember drain the fuel!

#13 ·
Well, got it figured out.

It WAS the coil.

Reason I didnt think of it was the engine would try to fire every couple revolutions. Like it was flooded or the injectors were not in time with the spark.

Guess I have a couple spare used parts that are good.

Oh yea, it has been raining like crazy here and my Durango was parked off the drive in my side yard. So I ended up laying in the water and mud to swap the crank sensor. My tarp didnt help much! What a mess.

I wanted to say thanks to those that offered their help and support.

(Now to get my jumper cables out of the tree in my neighbors yard!)

Thanks!

Jeff

#16 ·
99op durango 5.2 went to move started for a min then stalled out, now will not start. changed rotor and cap, checked gas pressure, and pulled coil wire off distributor and has spark. it cranks but no start? what is wrong I originallyjust changed cap and wires used same rotorm started fine prior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.