Dakota Durango Forum banner

4.7l radiator drain plug

11K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jrp1588 
#1 ·
So I just bought this truck (04 Dakota) about two weeks ago and was changing all my fluids along with doing a tune up as I do not know thet last time it was done. I located the radiator drain plug and noticed that the position of the knob was verticle. Previous vehicles I have owned you need to turn the know verticle to drain. Either way, the truck was not leaking coolant from the valve so I turned it a 1/4 turn so that the knob is now horizontal. Still nothing drains. I tried to turn the knob either way further with a pair of pliers but did not want to put too much pressure on it because I did not want to break it. It only turns 1/4 turn. Nothing more or nothing less and I cannot get any coolant to flow. I also thought that there may be some sedimant built up in the valve, so I pocked a screwdriver up there, with the valve in both directions, and still nothing drains. What position is the valve suppose to be in to drain? Does it have to turn more than a 1/4 turn? Also I had the radiator cap off just in case there was a suction causing no coolant to flow. Any suggestions? thanks

#2 ·
I have no idea about the 4.7, but on my 5.9, you turn it 180 degrees for it to start draining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.