Dakota Durango Forum banner

Is there a recall on a clock spring? 2001 dakota 4x4

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  norad848 
#1 ·
trying to save a few bucks.. if not , anyone know what they go for?? thanks

#3 ·
They charged me out the wazoo to change mine out on my truck. I wish I would have done it myself.

Did "2 hours" of diagnostics since I told them the clock spring was bad, they asked if I wanted them to check to make sure, didn't know they would bill two hours to check.

#7 ·
im going to have to go to the dealer anyway, that ebay link is out dated, it says its no longer for sale.. but it did give me an idea on what they cost.. as long as the dealer is in the same price range ill be happy.. im going to buy it and me and my buddy are going to install it

#11 ·
The recall was only a specific date range in MY2000. Just so you know, Rock Auto has them for about $40, and there's a 5% discount code in the first post of his vendor forum.

#12 ·
is this a PITA to change? mine has been bad for some time now and dont really want to get a black eye from over torquing a nut....

#15 ·
sweet! i miss not having cruise....

#16 ·
Biggest PITA is pulling the wheel, just take a sharpie and mark from the wheel to the steering column bolt so you get it lined back up in the same spot.

edit: the clockspring is held in with 2 hollow tip torx bolts.

#18 ·
Recalls don't expire AFAIK.. I got my ball joints done 1 week after I bought my truck in 08 because the PO never did it.. :huh:

But like I said, the clockspring recall only affected MY2000 Daks and Durangos built between May 13 and July 24 2000, so it doesn't apply to him anyway if he's got an 01.

#19 ·
Meh, the recall period was floating, my Dak was built in March of '00 I bought it new in Nov. 2000 and it was covered, as was my Dad's '00 that was built in Nov. '99. I believe there may have been some '01 covered as well, he can contact his nearest dealer and they can research it.

Oh and certain recalls do expire, it depends on what it was for, the manufacturer, etc. We had a recall that was issued on our Audi, it covered all A6 built in 2000/2001, it was for some electrical component, I don't recall specifically, but the recall was issued in Feb. '02, ours was never serviced for this recall, when I found out about the recall in '08 I took the car in, they couldn't do the work under the recall as it expired, it was only open for 5 yrs and I would have had to pay for the work. I have heard of this happening with some other brands and items as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.