Dakota Durango Forum banner

Where to grease fittings?

23K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tydog07 
#1 ·
I was talking to a buddy of mine about how he greases some fittings on his 2001 ram every other oil change. I have never greased any fitting on my Durango but he showed me where the "nipples" are on my propeller shaft but he couldn't find any on the U/Ball Joints. Should I be greasing some of these fittings and where are they? What type of grease do I need? Did Dodge remove the necessity to grease these fittings after a certain year?

#2 ·
My winter beater (for explorer) had a factory upper ball joints and they were not greasable, all the replacement MOOG joints on my dakota have fittings that I give a squirt every oil change.. Maybe you truck has original joints? or factory chryler replacements?

#3 ·
Sounds like factory originals. Chrysler was forced to recall the ball joints on the Dakota's and Durango's because the lifetime ungreaseable ball joints were failing prematurely. Chrysler has different ball joints available with the Zerks fittings but you need to see if the recall has already been done, otherwise go with the Moog's.

#5 ·
Your Durango doesn't have any. Chrysler has installed non-serviceable non-greasable joints on Dakotas/Durangos since 2000. The reason there is one on the driveshaft is because it was replaced by a shop before.

Sounds like factory originals. Chrysler was forced to recall the ball joints on the Dakota's and Durango's because the lifetime ungreaseable ball joints were failing prematurely. Chrysler has different ball joints available with the Zerks fittings but you need to see if the recall has already been done, otherwise go with the Moog's.
Chrysler's recall was voluntary, and the replacements they used are also non-greasable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.