Dakota Durango Forum banner

Oil Pressure Fluctuating

15K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  theguitardoctor 
#1 ·
OK guys and gals,
I have a '02 Dakota 3.9 (65,000 km)and my oil pressure is up and down
I know that when your on the gas, it raises a little but this is up to the the line before the max out line and when your off the gas is drops back down.
At about 1000 rpm is seems fine.
I checked the oil and it's fine, it was changed less then a month ago.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem
Thanks
:help:

#3 ·
Typical Rule thumb on Oil pressure is you need 10 PSI for every 1000 RPM, as long as the the gauge is reading in the Nominal Sweep Range you should be ok.

also depending on the Oil Filter you used it could also be part of the issue if it drops excessively...

The Mopar, WIX / NAPA Gold, and Mobil-1 filters all have anti-drainback valves
to keep the oil in the filter and the pressure where it needs to be..

and yes the Oil pressure switch could be ready to crap out too..

#4 ·
way back from the dead...

the oil sending unit was changed in august 2005, went retarded again, they changed it under warranty in july 2006. But nothing seemed to be wrong with the sending unit.

My oil was changed every 3 months, I'm under my mileage warranty. So I switched to Synthetic oil and installed an auto meter gauge.

The pressure is perfect, my in dash gauge is unplugged and it still moves a little bit, I have a cotter pin in it to shut the "check gauges" light off, on the dash.

So, it's basically electrical, where most ppl jump to the "sludge" factor.

But my oil pressure is fine now, and the gauge on the pillar with a blue LED looks pretty sweet, IMO hahahaha

:eek:nethumb:

#5 ·
well i just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago also, and i used a fram oil filter. so maybe that was it. Its not a huge deal i just sit at around 30 psi at idle and go up to about 60 when accelerating

#7 ·
bpitz15 said:
well i just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago also, and i used a fram oil filter. so maybe that was it. Its not a huge deal i just sit at around 30 psi at idle and go up to about 60 when accelerating

ya, that's about right man
give or take a few psi

mine was up and down all over the place quickly
now it's fine
70-75ish on start up, idle like 25-30ish, running normal (give or take on rpm) 50-60ish, to the floor 70-75ish

so, you should be ok; just keep an eye on it
:eek:nethumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.