Dakota Durango Forum banner

bad vibration

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ck98daksport 
#1 ·
first off I have a 2002 dakota quad cab with a 4.7L v8. My problem is I have a bad vibration that basicly shakes my truck when i hit about 55 mph. as soon as i take my foot off the gas it goes away and when i hit the gas again it comes back. I have had my tires rotated and balanced, I put new break roters on, and I replaced the passenger side cv joint. i have had it. I need some help please. Thank you, Josh

#6 ·
Huh, i have the same damn problem. is yours a 2wd or 4wd? As far as the weights on the drive shaft, there welded on so i doubt they came off. did you check the fluid level in the trans or the fluid in the rear end?

#9 ·
Bad u joint

#12 ·
Should be the rear end no? Are you 2wd or 4wd? Im not sure but it would be the rear U-joint wouldnt it? Are you checking the front U-joint on the front driveshaft, that would only be engaged when in 4wd....right? Have you checked the rear U as that is where the power is transfered when in 2wd putting it in reverse right?

#13 ·
Guys, not all u-joints that are bad are loose...if they are out of lube and stuck, the shaft will not move the way it should and will create one hell of a vibration. Esp in the front end, since all the components are designed to move anyway...
You may be getting a slight squeaking from it too...but the best way to really test is to remove the driveshaft and move em around to see if they are stuck or sticking...
Good luck!

#14 ·
fixed an older ranger that had a really bad vibration at 45, whole hood would just start shaking, was the u joint by the diff. Grab hold of the drive shaft and see if there's an excessive amount of play in any direction. Turns out that the needle bearings under one of the caps were totally disintigrated. I don't remember if it was a greaseable joint or if it was a sealed one but that was the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.