Dakota Durango Forum banner

4.7 blown head gasket

17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  4.7 
#1 ·
Im considering trading one of my trucks i have for a 00 dakota 4.7 2wd. The guy said it overheated and now blows white smoke.. Would you say head gasket or possibly head related?

#4 ·
well head gaskets alone will run you about 800 in labor plus parts just fyi

#7 ·
Well if needed a have the head gaskets exhaust water pump gaskets that came out of a complete gasket set I have that I done need the rest can be reused

#10 ·
As far as specialty tools go, i can make them. I have done several different head gasket changes on ohc engines. Its all a matter of the approach to be honest. But it appears that the guy backed out at the last minute anyways.. Thanks for all the comments and help tho

#12 ·
I had forgot about the chain guides that are bolted to the heads, but yea the tensioners would over extend I actually had wound up using small nails to hold mine in place when I reset my tensioners. Anyways def all good information for anyone attempting to remove heads or reset timing etc.

#13 ·
Reading all this makes me extremely nervous about blowing a head gasket now.

#14 ·
ya i didnt even wanna screw with mine so im taking mine in

#15 ·
the timing on the 4.7 can look intimidating but its not bad at all once you do it, funny part bout when I did get mine fixed guy at the dealership couldn't believe I did it on my own. but ive gotten kinda used to that these days older people don't think young guys know how to do much these days

#16 ·
I agree with 01Dak4.7 - there are quite a few things to keep track of when doing a top end R&R, but with the proper tools, ability, and an FSM it's nothing that can't be done by pretty much any gearhead. There are lots of things to take off and put back on. Keeping the timing chains on the idler sprocket is critical - use Zip Ties (cheap and functional). I just marked (with a Sharpie) my secondary chains and the cam sprockets to insure they went back on as they came off.

Take your time, and since you'll have the front end exposed replace the chain guides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.